CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Need a brush up on genetics...

Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
pgr8dnlvr
Need a brush up on genetics...

Hello again! I used to be quite involved in the Canadian cornsnake market but my world had to change when four years ago I suddenly had to get a divorce, give up my house and disband my business. It seems that now I might "dabble" with the hobby again.

What I'm looking for is a lesson or two on what's new in the genetic world? When I left buff was newly discovered and simple recessive. Scaleless was simple recessive and almost exclusively controlled by BHB reptiles. Mandarin? I think that's what it's called was codom? (Can't remember). Palmeto was newly proved out simple recessive and pied sided was REALLY up in the air. My experience with them was that there was an element of recessive geneticism, but to get higher white expression it was usually from breeding very newly mature animals, successive batches often had less and less white... Tessera was also fairly new on the horizon as a codom, and Ruth was working on ways to prove out the gazer gene in sunkissed.

So what else is new? What has been proved to be hybrid? Any big new discoveries or colours? Is there a website showing new colour morphs and their names? Are any of the "oldies" still around and up for a phone call from me to talk corns?!?

Thanks all...

Rebecca

Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Shiari
Buff is dominant. Scaleless are all hybrids, but yes, simple recessive. Mandarin is an amel kastanie. Pied-sided is still completely up in the air. I don't think the less white as the parents ages thing is true. Tessera is dominant rather than codom.

As for news, Joe is selling the remainder of the golden corns so there will be a couple people working on that soon. Sunrise has proven at least allelic with the Orange Thing that Steve made. Kastanie, mahogany, and copper are all either or allelic or the same gene... and I'm leaning towards the same gene, personally, with just different phenotypes the same way amel has different phenotypes. More microscales are being produced over in europe, including an amel motley which is lovely.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Buff is dominant. Scaleless are all hybrids, but yes, simple recessive. Mandarin is an amel kastanie. Pied-sided is still completely up in the air. I don't think the less white as the parents ages thing is true. Tessera is dominant rather than codom.

As for news, Joe is selling the remainder of the golden corns so there will be a couple people working on that soon. Sunrise has proven at least allelic with the Orange Thing that Steve made. Kastanie, mahogany, and copper are all either or allelic or the same gene... and I'm leaning towards the same gene, personally, with just different phenotypes the same way amel has different phenotypes. More microscales are being produced over in europe, including an amel motley which is lovely.
I'm glad I refreshed before posting...my response was a lot wordier lol.

Another "new" but not actually new mutation, Cherry appears to be a novel reddening mutation similar to Red Factor. It also appears to be incomplete dominant. A handful of people are slowly working it into new projects.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Shiari
Was too tired to use proper words. XD. Yay for answering things 5 minutes after waking up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google