CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Music

Old 12-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #1
Rich Z
Music

A long while back I bought a music CD by a group called "The Rippingtons". When Connie and I first listened to it, we thought the style of the music greatly resembled the music played on The Weather Channel during the local forecasts. This was before they started showing ads there, and we used to put it on the TV constantly when we had the time to sit down and relax. Usually we were bushed from working with the animals, and many times fell asleep while that music was playing.

So we found the music on that CD we had to be particularly relaxing.

Well, come to find out that it actually IS music from this group that does (used to? Haven't watched TV for a very long times..) play on the Weather Channel.

So I bought more of their albums and really enjoy the music they have orchestrated.

Only problem is, I can't seem to get through more than half of any of the albums before I fall asleep on the couch......

Old 12-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
Twolunger
Well, don't play that album while driving in the Corvette. LOL. I happened to search for rock music from the 60's and found a list of the rock groups from that era. There were 80 groups listed, and that was just rock. I didn't even check the 70's yet. Who can forget Vanilla Fudge? It sure was the heyday of music. If you gave me a million dollars to name the top 5 current vocalists your money is safe.

One of my friends told me he enjoys listening to Ry Cooder albums. I told him I never heard of him, so he sent me a few songs on a CD. It's completely different than my usual taste in music, but I like him. Sue can't stand his songs and I have to listen to them when I'm driving alone in the car. LOL.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Rich Z
I actually saw Vanilla Fudge twice in concert. Can't remember exactly where, though. I recall once was at the beach in Wildwood, NJ. I think. Went with a bunch of friends and somehow we got front row seats. Can't remember the organist's name but after he did a keyboard solo on his Hammond B3, he leaned towards us and muttered, "Sounded like sh_t, didn't it?" And we all had a laugh over that. We were THAT close to the band!

The other time was a large concert hall, somewhere, which is about all I can remember about the location. Except that the warm up band for the Fudge was none other than Led Zeppelin. At the time, they used to bring out no name bands for the big ticket bands to get the crowd humming. So obviously, that was in the very earliest days of Led Zeppelin. I thought they were pretty good for a 3 piece band, but I was a keyboardist, and they weren't of much interest to me.

I spent a few nights watching music videos on YouTube, trying to find some new groups that I would like their style well enough to buy some CDs. Man, what a struggle that was. Best I could come up with was a group called Lany. So I bought two CDs by them and listened to the first one tonight. Hmm, not sure that was a good call. Maybe the second album will be better.

Other groups I listened to that sounded sort of OK, but I couldn't find an album that had enough "good" songs I felt like listening to, to be worth buying, are:
  • Moon Taxi
  • The 1975
  • Mumford & Sons
  • Lovelytheband
  • Maroon 5

Honestly some of the music videos were so weird that it didn't matter to me what their music sounded like. Some bands are obviously better heard and not seen.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Rich Z
Well, listening to some of the new groups, when did SCREAMING take the place of actual singing?

I can only take about 3 seconds of that crap. And then wish I had a time machine to go back 5 seconds into the past to NOT click on that button.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:28 AM   #5
Twolunger
I guess you can't teach a dog new tricks. I don't know of any of the new music that I like. I always end up searching for groups like the Hollies. I couldn't go anywhere in the 60's without playing In-A-Gadda-Da-Vita. My buddy and I were out in his Chevelle in 1969 and the thing ran so bad we had to leave it on the street and walk home. Someone broke into the car and hotwired it and drove away. The thing ran so bad they abandoned it just 2 blocks away and left a note saying the car was a piece of crap. To add insult to injury they took all our 8 track tapes. I think I found them in a pawn shop a few months ago for ten cents a piece.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #6
SnakeCreations
Haha! That is funny I love new music so am going to have to check it out, but maybe not before bed. Scream-o is not my thing, but some of the re-mixes are hysterical!

I just saw Santana in Vegas and am seeing Van Morrison and Rollings Stones early next year. I often listen to music when I'm cleaning cages and feeding. My poor snakes have to listen to me sing... snicker.

-Tonya

Old 12-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #7
Twolunger
Hey, terrific concerts. You are lucky. I have a recurring nightmare that I'll wake up and look like Keith Richards.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
Rich Z
When I played in a band, I used to play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vita. I used to love playing that D minor intro. I remember the keyboardist in another band we used to play alongside was always amazed that I could do it with only one hand. Took him two. Heck, been decades since I have last tried it. Might take me two now, too. I can't remember a 100th of the tunes I used to play. But for some reason I can still remember the flute solo with my right hand in Color My World while playing the piano arpeggio with the left hand. Heck, I need to get over to the "music room" and play more often. It's just frustrating that I so easily forget what I was playing just yesterday.

Speaking of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vita, many times when we were playing a particularly boring crowd at some dive, when we got to the drum solo, we would all just walk out of the building and leave the drummer playing for a LONG time. Actually I think he loved it.

Speaking of Keith Richards, I believe he played the head honcho pirate in one or more of the Pirates of the Caribbean flics. I noticed his hands are gnarled up something awful, with arthritis, I guess. Hate to see that kind of thing. I seriously doubt he can play guitar any longer. But he certainly does play a fearsome looking pirate.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #9
Twolunger
I loved listening to our church organist as she played. At the time she was about 60, which I thought was ancient, to a 16 year old anyway. One day I stopped at the church because I heard her practicing, and I mentioned that it's too bad she couldn't play any rock songs. She then started playing rock, obviously from memory, and I was shocked. I immediately told my parents I want an organ, so they found me a smaller one. I practiced and practiced and I guess my music sounded okay, but then my brother started playing one day, with no practice at all and he sounded better than I did. So that was the end of my playing. I switched to a guitar and I have to admit I was just as mediocre playing that instrument. LOL. Then I decided to listen to others play, and I excelled at that.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Zincubus
Nice story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google