CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn snake vs Ball Python

Old 12-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
dusterdust
Corn snake vs Ball Python

I was wondering,
I was offered either a 2 year BP male or a 3 year normal (het anery) corn male for the same price. I was wondering if someone could contrast them for me as pets...All I know about the balls is that they aren't as active and I wouldn't see them in the viv as much, yet they are better to handle...
Someone help me out?
Dustin

Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
cornsnakekid92
From my experince :
Both snakes are going to hid a lot in the viv. Corn snakes grow to about 3-5 feet, ball pythons grow to about 3-6 feet.Bally pythons need a high temp and more humidity then corns. Adults ball pythons will eat small to medium rats adult corms can stay on adult mice. For a ball python you are going to beed a viv the size of a 30 breeder, for corns just a 20 long.when you hold corns they keep moving in you hands, ball pythons normal just sit there most of the time. a corn bite isent that bad a ball pythons bite hurts a good amount more. Ball pythons are prone to feeding strikes and bad sheds. I think corns are a better first snake. They are easier to take care of, and if a big female ball python got out of its cage and to a todller? not good. So for faimlies and first timers i think corns are better.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Nanci
My corn is out whenever she hears/feels someone in the kitchen/living room. She spends a great deal of time out of her hides. Snakes that spend most of their time in trees need to guard against falling- that is why they are so clingy and easy to handle. My corn is active when I first take her out, but in an exploratory way- not a wild/escaping way. She'll settle in and curl around my hand eventually, though.

Nanci

Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
BeckyG
I don't see either my corns or my BPs until the lights go out. I know a lot of people say that BPs aren't as active as corns, but mine are. BPs can sometimes be picky eaters, and can go off feed for months as a time, which can cause all their owner's hair to go grey, but they are still great pets. I wouldn't recommend them as a first snake, more like a second or third.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
dusterdust
I already have corns, I have a 2 year ghost and I have that new corn now...
He's in a shed, here's his pick...Though I don't think he's as bright as most normals...
He's het anery, I don't think that matters though...

Old 12-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
dusterdust
When the eyes go cloudy, then back to normal, does the skin go normal again? Or stay cloudy... I got this guy in a shed, don't really know what his colours are...His eyes aren't cloudy at the moment, but he is in a shed...So does that mean the skin I see now is not as vibrant as it might be?

Old 12-31-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Shade
He should shed in the next day or two, and then you'll see his true colors.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Derek54
I would go for the ball python. I think they look alot better. but its personal preference. ball pythons arent really that hard of a snake to keep. theyre right next to cornsnakes in my books.
they just require higher temps and humidity, which doesnt make it any harder to car for.

its all personal preference...

Old 01-01-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
Plissken
I know people say that balls are less active than corns, but in my opinion it depends on the snake, because I have one of each and my ball is MORE active than my corn. I almost never see my corn but I'll quite regularly see the python.

I think it depends what you want from the snake really. They're both great snakes. Since you already have corns though, and this is just me personally, I would go for the ball python. I've always wanted to own a variety of different snakes because I like a challenge, if you know what I mean. If I'm comfortable with corns, I want to step outside the box and try something new. But that is just me. When it comes down to it, it's up to you entirely, only you know what you want.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakekid92
From my experince :
Both snakes are going to hid a lot in the viv. Corn snakes grow to about 3-5 feet, ball pythons grow to about 3-6 feet.Bally pythons need a high temp and more humidity then corns. Adults ball pythons will eat small to medium rats adult corms can stay on adult mice. For a ball python you are going to beed a viv the size of a 30 breeder, for corns just a 20 long.when you hold corns they keep moving in you hands, ball pythons normal just sit there most of the time. a corn bite isent that bad a ball pythons bite hurts a good amount more. Ball pythons are prone to feeding strikes and bad sheds. I think corns are a better first snake. They are easier to take care of, and if a big female ball python got out of its cage and to a todller? not good. So for faimlies and first timers i think corns are better.
I've never heard of a ball python getting loose and hurting a toddler, and they rarely reach six feet in length.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google