CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Ordering mice online

Old 07-27-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
Flygning
Ordering mice online

I was considering ordering frozen mice online. Even with shipping, it costs cheaper than buying them locally. However, I can't seem to find any sites that will ship less than 50 pinkies or fuzzies, or combine small amounts of different sizes. I don't want 50 pinkies because my snakes will outgrow those before they finish eating them. Should I just buy mice locally until the snakes grow enough to eat adult mice, then order them in bulk? I'd like to find a cheaper alternative...

Old 07-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
MegF.
If you could find someone near to you that might want to share a shipment with you, that might be an option. Otherwise, it might be best to go with your local pet store. Mine gets frozen in 12packs, and offers a frozen mouse discount, so it works out really well. Later I can order up to 100 if I want. By the way. Love your Avatar. Orion is my favorite constellation, and one I always look for!

Old 07-27-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
LawrenceM
online mice

Don't be so sure your snake will outgrow them so quickly. You could always feed two or three at a time and the 50 will go quickly. I just ordered 150 (50 small pinkies, 50 large pinkies and 50 fuzzies) from BCRF. this should be a two year supply. I'll let you know how it goes if you like.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Rinpu
Smile

www.cajunmice.com They have no minimum order size, and they also vacuum package the mice in small numbers--pinkies come in bags of 5, hoppers in bags of 3, etc, so they last longer in the freezer. I've had two orders from them so far, and I've been very satisfied with their mice.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
DAND
Flygning,

You may want to check and see if there is any herp shows near you. Most of the time there is a vendor who sells frozen rodents at prices better than the shops will.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #6
Flygning
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful

The reason I said they would outgrow the pinkies is that the guy who sold me my first snake (he's been pretty knowlegable so far) told me that pinkies have less nutritional value than the larger mice, so its better to move up to the next size than double up. Any thoughts on that?

I've been looking for shows in this area, but it appears that there is only one that seems pretty small, and then one about 2 hours from here, and both of them just happened so I'll have to wait a year to check that out.

Meg--thanks for commenting on my avatar! I'm studying physics and astronomy at ASU, and loving it!

Old 07-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Amdek
ASU eh? nice bro I'm heading back to tempe for my sophmore year at ASU in early august. My corn is comming along for the ride as well.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
Flygning
Where are you from originally, Amdek?

Old 07-27-2004, 09:48 PM   #9
MegF.
Physics is my favorite too! I had to take my first physics class for my x-ray liscense, and I had the best instructor. I'm hooked! I've always been interested in astronomy. My late 2nd cousin had a telescope at his house in the Mojave desert, and we'd check out everything with it.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:49 PM   #10
Flygning
Yeah, my wallet is torn between 2 loves--cornsnakes and telescopes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google