CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

STILL not eating!

Old 06-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
erikamc
STILL not eating!

Ok, it has now been 15 or 16 weeks since Lana ate. Well, thats sort of the truth, tonight along with her usual F/T mouse I tossed in two F/T pinkies. She ate one of the pinkies (or aliens abducted it). I'm going to try again tomorrow and at that time I will weigh her (I've been working 70-80 hour weeks, the snakes missed a feeding last week because of it). she appears to be in good physical condition, certainly still fatter than when I got her, so that's something. I have been tossing around the idea of trying a live mouse since that was what she was fed before I got her (Feb 2016?, she's about 13 years old, well, live fuzzies). I just don't like the idea because if she does eat it, I worry about her being able to go back to F/T and if she doesn't eat it, I'll end up with a pet mouse (yes, I will). I have considered taking her to the vet and if there was any other symptom besides not eating she would have gone long ago. She is bright eyed and active, drinks water, is still curious when I'm doing stuff in her room. I don't think a vet would try to force feed her, and honestly, I'm not sure that's what should be done. I guess they could give her a vitamin B injection to try to stimulate her appetite, but thats the only thing I can think they might do. I'm just at a loss as to what to try first I guess, but I want my girl to go back to being the little pig...err...snake she was! Sorry guys, honestly not sure if I'm venting or asking for advice!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
DollysMom
Glad she ate the pinkie. Try another in 5 days and if she eats it gradually increase size and interval.

There are parasites and diseases that can suppress appetite. There may be a lot a vet can do. If she were my snake I'd get her checked.

Best wishes.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
erikamc
Will do! I guess I didn't consider parasites since she has been a captive snake her whole life. She just seems so normal other than not eating. I'll go to the store in the morning and buy various mouse sizes. If she doesn't eat in the next day or two, I'll set up an appointment at the vet for Friday!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
DollysMom
Sounds good. Best wishes!

Old 07-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #5
erikamc
I should probably update this in case anyone is wondering! I went and bought some fuzzies, despite being in her blue stage she ate all three! Her next two feeds were also three fuzzies. Tonight, I gave her a mouse, which she ate! So happy:-)

Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #6
DollysMom
Wonderful news! I'm so glad she's eating normally.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
Twolunger
Great news that Lana finally ate. I would recommend Nutribac df as a probiotic. Although some say it is an appetite stimulator, I don't know about that claim. I do know that good gut bacteria is always preferable, and Nutribac df is said to include probiotics specific to snakes.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:23 AM   #8
Marven001
Oh.It's a sad story.Don't be sad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google