CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Carol, umbilicus or intestine?

Old 07-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
SnakeNutt
Carol, umbilicus or intestine?

I'm specifically asking this question of Carol (because I've read a couple of her posts concerning this issue), but I'd appreciate answers from any experienced breeders.

Sometime in the middle of the night last night, the one remaining egg pipped (all the other 11 eggs in this particular clutch pipped yesterday, and all had crawled from their eggs by 10 a.m. this morning with no problems). I checked the last pipped egg at 11:15 this morning, and she apparently had just left the egg a bit too early (I'm assuming too early, from the very thin, pale pink cord that trailed about an inch or two behind her, with some clear, gooey wet stuff at the end, not yellow yolk). Carol, in the past, you've recommended snipping an umbilical cord off, up close to the hatchling's belly, so that the snake would not accidentally end up pulling out its intestines if the cord caught on something. So, that's what I did, since I assumed it was an umbilical cord.

Now, I'm frantically second-guessing myself, only because I realized immediately post-snip that I don't know what an amel hatchling's intestine looks like (AND, naturally, she's the best of the 12 -- a real keeper!). How do I know if I did indeed snip an umbilical cord and not an intestine itself? The pale thin cord had a red vein in it, from which dripped a couple of small drops of blood, and then closed up. The snake now has a tiny pale pink stub (located about an inch above her cloaca), and she's crawling around her plastic tub quite alertly, checking things out. She's every bit as active and strong as her clutchmates. No bleeding or oozing or anything.

What would an intestine have looked like, as opposed to the umbilical cord?

I'm sure other egg watchers will appreciate your answer, since this "dragging something behind it" situation appears to happen somewhat often (although it's a first for me).

SnakeNutt
Liz

Old 07-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
carol
Cords can either look like a red vein with clear goo around it, or they can be that creamy yolk color. Usually if they have finished thier yolk, it is the red vein and if not then it is cream. Makes sense since there is still yolk traveling though the cord. If you had cut the intestines, it would have been much more than a few drops of blood and your snake would be in major distress. Sounds like your little one will be just fine!

Old 07-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
SnakeNutt
Whew! Thanks, Carol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
Cords can either look like a red vein with clear goo around it, or they can be that creamy yolk color. Usually if they have finished thier yolk, it is the red vein and if not then it is cream. Makes sense since there is still yolk traveling though the cord. If you had cut the intestines, it would have been much more than a few drops of blood and your snake would be in major distress. Sounds like your little one will be just fine!
That's sorta what I was thinking -- that the little snake would be writhing and squirting blood and gunk everywhere if I'd cut an intestine. But I wasn't sure, since I'd never seen an umbilical cord on any of my hatchlings before. You've put my mind at rest, plus she's still wandering around her box just like all the others (clearly not in distress). I do very much appreciate your reply.

By the way, I enjoy reading all your posts and replies (which I've been doing for about a year now, since I became a member of this forum) -- you're clearly very experienced, plus you dispense a lot of common sense suggestions (and patience with the newbies). Thanks for being a part of the forum.

Liz

Old 07-16-2004, 01:09 AM   #4
carol
Thanks! Although I think it is the snakes that get the credit for cultivating my patience. It is a quality you just can't do without to be sucessful with corns. I try my best, I know I enjoy the help I get, although during this time of year I don't get to help as often as I would like.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google