CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

1st rattler of the year (with pics)!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Theo's Keeper
1st rattler of the year (with pics)!

I saw this guy at work while I was walking from headquarters to the maintenance area, on a little paved drive. He was sunning himself but started to move off as I approached. I wanted a pic of him really bad and I knew my coworker was right behind me in his truck, so I stepped in between him and the woods and found a long stick to keep him on the road shoulder. He was pretty chilled out, didn't rattle at all or strike. When my coworker pulled up I got his camera from his truck and snapped a couple of pictures. Unfortunately they're not so great, I didn't get his rattle at all, but I think he had about 5 or 6 layers. He's about 2 and a half feet long I'd estimate.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
CrazyCorn
Nice find I am yet to find anything but a garter this year but hopefully that will change soon.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
wax32
Nice find!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
tyflier
Very nice adamanteus!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Theo's Keeper
I saw another one today, but it was dead. I was walking down a fire road and was on top of it before I saw it. I just about peed myself before I realized it was dead! It smelled too bad to stop and take pics though.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
Very nice adamanteus!
Nope...that is Crotalus horridus.

By the way...where was this guy? I'm very interested in all accounts of upstate timber rattlesnakes. You can post here or PM me.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes View Post
Nope...that is Crotalus horridus.

By the way...where was this guy? I'm very interested in all accounts of upstate timber rattlesnakes. You can post here or PM me.
Thanks, Jeff. I'm still working on my eastern rattler ID's, and seem to always confuse the two...

Old 06-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
JoshnJJ
Ah, I knew it was Timber Rattler, never seen one personally, but I've heard alot of stories about them in many different location.
Sounds like they are real popular than diamond back in up north.
Hey Tyflier, I recently moved up the U.P. Michigan,
There's only one venomous snake around in this location is Timber Rattler, but
hopefully, I'll try to capture the biggest one around.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google