CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

"New to Me" Species

Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Hearts-a-Glow
We have an ancient King snake living in the backyard. He's massive and unafraid of anything: my friend's boyfriend called us out one afternoon when he was out for a cruise, just passing by as if to say, "Good afternoon everyone!"

Come to think of it, haven't seen him in about a year... he was pretty old...

Oh! But last month we also found a large gopher snake in our shed. Thankfully I live with reptile-friendly people, and after some pictures we let him go his own way.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
ShelbyScott
In Tennessee, it is illegal to kill ANY snake, but I can understand people killing rattlesnakes and copperheads close to their houses. I just wish more people would educate themselves on what snakes are venomous in their state so they could refrain from killing those that are harmless. :/

Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 AM   #13
Jupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyScott View Post
In Tennessee, it is illegal to kill ANY snake, but I can understand people killing rattlesnakes and copperheads close to their houses. I just wish more people would educate themselves on what snakes are venomous in their state so they could refrain from killing those that are harmless. :/

My thoughts and wishes exactly.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #14
ashleynicole
Isn't that a 3 line salamander, not a lizard?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #15
drybgerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
Isn't that a 3 line salamander, not a lizard?
That's not a 3 Lined Salamander or any salamander for that matter. It's a 5 Lined Skink. Cool find either way.

Nice finds!!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
ashleynicole
A skink is a lizard though. They look similar to salamanders...
easy to confuse... lol.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
drybgerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
A skink is a lizard though. They look similar to salamanders...
easy to confuse... lol.
Lol yes I could see how some could confuse them. Having had salamanders and skinks and lizards of all kinds since I was old enough to walk they look nothing a like to me.

Probably the same as when people see my dogs they say nice pits when they are American Bulldogs, pits of any kind and American Bulldogs even the Scott type look nothing alike to me! I'm seeing more of the shelters in the are listing pits as American Bulldogs, must be easier to adopt out an AB vs a pit....

Old 09-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
ShelbyScott
Yes definitely a skink I forgot to not that. They are EVERYWHERE here in Tennessee. I've never gotten to see a salamander in the wild. I've saved many skinks though

Old 09-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #19
ashleynicole
Yeah I live in fl and we get tons as well. They're super fast

Old 09-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #20
Aurora314
I'm a bit jealous of everyone's adventures. My son did find a Mediterranean Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus, I believe) near our home. It was out in the open on an early January day, and was tiny and cold. We took it in, and my son has helped it thrive all these months. Anyone else ever seen a full-grown one? I have no idea how large it will get.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google