CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Cross your fingers and suggest...

Old 08-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
DLena
Question Cross your fingers and suggest...

Miss Nib's feeding day is tomorrow. She's my little AHS who eats live pinky mice. She took a FT once for me, but only once. I'm going to try a FT again tomorrow before I go pick up her live meal. She is a shy eater, won't take it off the tongs, but eats it in her warm hide.
Any suggestions/tricks I can try? So far I've tried blow dried, wet, scented with the water drained from canned tuna. The one time that worked, I put the pinky in used mouse bedding (courtesy of Mr. Rumples). She zipped out of her hide, into the pile of bedding and grabbed it up. . . It didn't work a second time.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Caryl
Where do you live? I ask bc if you live in a place where you can catch a lizard, sometimes a picky eater will happily go for a mouse scented with lizard. There are a lot of geckos in my area ( invasive species) and I have had good success in scenting meals with eau de gecko.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
DLena
I'm just outside of Buffalo NY. I am lizardless. How does one scent a FT with a lizard? Does the lizard have to be dead?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Twolunger
When I raised Western Hognose they were notorious for going off feed for months. But I caught a toad and rubbed the mice on the toad and the snakes couldn't resist. Try that if you can catch a toad. You can hang a light about a foot off the ground at night and the toads will be attracted to the moths flying around the light.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
DLena
Thanks, I think one of my students last year had frogs. I'm going to check with her and see if I could borrow one.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
DLena
You know, to a nonsnake/nonreptile person, that sounds really weird.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Caryl
I had a friend with a snake who liked frog scenting. And about the lizard question, no, the lizard doesn't have to be dead. Apparently lizard skin smells yummy. It is super helpful of the lizard to shed/break off its tail. That way you get lizard blood which seems darn near irresistible. (I know you said that you don't have lizards. The answer is mostly in case someone else is wondering.) Let us know how things go.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google