CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Sony RX10 IV

Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
Rich Z
Sony RX10 IV

So right around Christmas time, I was minding my own business, and somehow while watching YouTube videos, I noticed some reviews about a new "bridge" camera that Sony recently introduced. Nearly all of the reviews were really raving about this camera, but heck I just bought something similar not that long ago (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000) so did I REALLY need another camera right now? But heck, 24 to 600mm in a single lens? Faster lens, faster autofocus, faster continuous shooting, 4K 30fps, slow motion, etc., etc.....?

Well, you only live once.

Haven't come even close to trying out all the bells and whistles this camera offers, but what I have tried out is right impressive. Fortunately the gold finches have come on down from the cold north, so this was giving me a pretty substantial target rich environment at the bird feeders outside the bedroom window. Just wish I had gotten around to cleaning the outside of those windows, however. Probably would have gotten better shots had I done that.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
Rich Z
Still a couple more.....

Old 01-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
Rich Z
And still more.....

Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 AM   #4
Rich Z
Sorry, can't stop myself!

Oh, btw, looks like I am going to have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 for sale if anyone is interested. Can't see much reason to keep that one around any longer now.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
Rich Z
One of the interesting bells and whistles that this camera has is the capability of filtering out any color but a selection of several primary colors in the frame. So of course I thought of something to try this out on...... :hehe:

Old 01-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Dragonling
Never been super huge on gimmicks like selective color (you see it overdone and BADLY a lot in photography groups), but I still like it better than the inverted crystal ball shots that seem to be rising in popularity again.

I like the bird shots a lot. I wish we had a greater variety at our feeder. Right now it's all juncos and house sparrows, though we do have a tufted titmouse pair that frequent in the mornings this time of year, as well as a red bellied woodpecker. The other day I heard an unusual song and was surprised to see a white-crowned sparrow. Maybe when the weather warms up a little we'll set up the tripod remotely again. We've upgraded our camera body since the last time, and I don't think we had the Sigma 600mm at the time either.

I have a friend who was looking for a good point and shoot. I may have to recommend this.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Rich Z
Yeah, this certainly seems like a very capable "all in one" camera that will cover most bases for anyone not wanting to lug around a suitcase full of lenses with their SLR.

Of course, that being said, I've been reading a LOT of reviews about the new Nikon D850, and I'm looking HARD for a reason not to just bite the bullet and buy this thing (if it ever goes off of backorder) to replace my ancient Fujifilm Finepix S3 Pro DSLR body I bought ages ago to use with my Nikon lenses. Problem is, seems like nearly everyone who has or has tried that Nikon camera body absolutely LOVES it. Matter of fact, quite a few people are saying that this camera is WAY underpriced for what you get.

But darn it's a lot of money...... Gulp.... At least for me, anyway. But I guess since I am on social security now, it's just free government money I am spending anyway. So that kind of takes the sting out of making a purchase like this.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, this certainly seems like a very capable "all in one" camera that will cover most bases for anyone not wanting to lug around a suitcase full of lenses with their SLR.
Lol especially when your good telephoto weighs 4 lb. Fortunately we are not yet in Gear Acquisition Syndrome territory yet, but our lens collection is certainly growing little by little. Most things have very specific uses, though, and we tend to only pack 2-3 at most anytime we go places.

The new Nikon does look good, but is a little much for us to spend at this point, especially being so invested in a drawer full of e-mount lenses. I say if you've got the money, go for it.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #9
Rich Z
When I bought the new Sony, I went rooting around in my camera junk cabinet to see if I had any lens filters for it so I wouldn't wind up buying extras. I normally always like to have a polarizer and at least a haze filter. Particularly with these "bridge" cameras where just replacing a damaged lens will be kind of a big deal. Didn't find what I was looking for, but did find a set of closeup lenses in that caliber. 72mm is pretty big, and I have no idea what I originally bought those closeup lenses for. So it seems with just that one camera and those closeup lenses, I have bases covered all the way down to really close macro and then on up to 600mm all in one compact package. And 4K video too. Do wish it had 4K 60fps, though, as I feel like I'm getting more and more sensitive to motion artifacts the longer I shoot anything 30 fps. I almost decided to pass up this Sony camera and have to admit that it is a strike against the Nikon D850 too. I would have thought the D850 would have had the muscle to do 4K 60fps.

Oh yeah, while rooting around in that cabinet, I found the diving mask that has a GoPro mount on it that I couldn't find for the life of me before Connie and I went to Sanibel.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #10
Rich Z
This thing takes pretty decent pics, even through a dirty glass window.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google