CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Mice Rack question

Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
m1n054
Mice Rack question

I'm wondering if they can eat through the 1/4 Hardware Cloth:

They don't seem to have a problem hanging on to the mesh but I'm not sure if they are biting it.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Myca
I've never had them chew through it. My kids have degloved a couple in the past by opening the bin to quickly. We were all horrified. I know they are feeders but I want them to live as well as possible until doom. They hang on at the back where you can not see them.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
knox
I think the question is, can they eat the food through the mesh - like a hopper.

I would say yes. Their teeth grow forward.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Buzzard
Yes and No.... The smaller mice(hoppers and such) should be ok. The larger mice will have a more difficult time getting their snout through the mesh and exposing their teeth to the food. I would suggest cutting a section to 1/2 inch mesh. Here is a pic of one of my table top racks. You will see food in one corner, this is where I have 1/2 mesh. The drawback is that you have to keep it full. If not small hoppers(usually runt mice) mice can escape.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Walter Smith
When I bred mice for a food supply for my snakes, ALL of my racks and 1/4 screen and I never hed a problem at all.
Matter of fact, I have a couple pans set up now ( have a couple snakes that only want live ) that have 1/4 screen.

Another drawback to 1/2 in my experience is, other than hoppers possibly get throught it, is once your food item gets down to the size of the 1/2 opening, it falls through and usually ( not all time, but most ) the mice won't feed on it, they continue feeding from the top........which in the long run ends up wasting food.

1/4 screen would be just fine IMO

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google