• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

some quick stupid questions

nova

aspiring Breeder
Ok, one of my new corns is arriving tomorrow. It is an upper keys corn does any one have one? It is 24 inches long. I have one of those 10 by 8 critter cages, you know the plastic ones. Would it be ok, or would it be good for temporary use only. Also I was going to use some plastic critter cages for 2 or more hatchlings (finally some from rich:D ) When winter comes around would I be able to use a heating pad underneath, or would it melt, thanks in advance.

Congratulations!!!~~~~~~~~:~

Hello Nova, I think that 8X10 sounds a little small for a 24 inch snake. I t might be good for a feeding area. Our 01s are getting ready to move out of a 20 gallon tank into a 30 gallon. I don't know about melting, the container should tell you. Have you picked out any names yet? I bet your're excited. Sam ~~~~~~:~

That cage might do for a temporary home but in a year it's going to be 3 feet long or longer. I would get it into what ever cage you plan on using permanently as soon as possible. IMHO

Ok thank you both tim and psycosnakemom.

Tim: what does IMHO mean i see it alot.

Psycosnakemom: I have not decided a name yet, any suggestions?

I used to use one of those plastic critter cages with a heat mat underneath. It shouldnt melt the tank...if it does then your heat mat is WAY too hot!

Here is a pic of my new guy

its a he, name????

Attachments

• keyscorn6-th.jpg
    keyscorn6-th.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 106
Hey Nova,
Great snake! IMHO? I had to ask Tim the same thing.
It means In My Humble Opinion. Good luck with the new guy. I posted some names on the other post(photo gallery)
Jimmy C.

Hello Nova ~~~~~~~:~

Hi Nova.... VERY beautiful snake. We picked many of our names from our favorite characters in books. But I also have two "cutie" type of names based on how they look or act, Beanie and Barbie. Silly but fun. Your guy looks a little majestic, are you a history buff? I think you should think royal when you think of a name. Good luck. Sam ~~~~~:~

Corn Snake Names~~~~~~:~

SilverTongue
There was a woman on the old forum who had six corns all with Egyptian names, I think her name was Cheryl. I remember because Dr. Mike said she now had an Egyptian six pack and that stuck in my mind. What are the nanes that you have given yours? ~~~~~~~:~ Sam

hehe well I told my 5yr old daughter that if she would hold the snake for 5 min she could name it. and after several 3 second handelings hehe she finally got use to it and held it for atleast 5 min. She named her Slinka. :)

stupid question......

Hi
I was just reading these replies when I noticed that some people said they put their heating pads under their snakes "homes".....?? I put mine directly in the tank under the substrate. Is that ok? or should I put it under the tank instead? I thought I was right before but this thread stumped me..:confused: Sorry if I came in too late but I dont' want to put the snakes in danger:)
Thanks

it depends. If you have a glass or plastic cage then you should put it under just to help dissapate the heat. And keep the reptile from getting burned. If you have a wood or wood-like cage then you would probably put it inside under the substrate. But you have to have a themometer that can controll the tempature in there because sometimes snakes get so confertable in their sleep they dont realize they are being baked to a crisp. Just make sure you have something to watch and regulate the tempature and you should be ok. I wouldnt mist the hot side either because you will create hot steam which can burn also.

Back