• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Albinos and Shedding

Hey there! I was wondering how to tell if an albino cornsnake was shedding or in pre-shed.

I noticed that she had some regurgitation movements the last time she ate, although she ended up not regurgitating and took her meal well. The food wasn't large either. I heard that if you feed your snake in pre-shed they can regurgitate.

Aside from that I noticed that she hides a lot lately. I added a hide box and I keep it humid, but she stopped hiding there after two days. I haven't been handling her since the last time she ate and it's been 5 days. She has been moving around but from only two spots- her hide box on the cool end and on top of a plastic tree on the hot end.

I wonder if I should feed her this week or skip and if there are any other tips for me when it comes to letting her shed.

Thanks so much!

DSC03782 copy.JPG

Snakes yawn after eating to reset their jaws after spreading them so wide. All snakes do that.

I've heard about that, although what put me off was the movement of the mouse since it moved up her neck. I've been feeding her week after week and she's never done anything like that... and the mice I've fed her were the same size.

I feel like maybe I'm being overly concerned but I do want to know what are the signs of a shedding albino snake. Do their eyes turn dull and blue like other cornsnakes?

Thanks so much for answering though! I'm glad it seems that I'm just being overly concerned for no reason.

The eyes of an albino do cloud over the same way other morphs do. It may not seem as obvious, but it does happen.

The eyes of an albino do cloud over the same way other morphs do. It may not seem as obvious, but it does happen.

Hey there! Turns out she just shed today. Basically, all of the worries I had were over a very simple reason. I absolutely could not tell by her eyes, but her general disposition changed and I should've listened to my gut! (Although maybe it's better to be safe than sorry?)

Thanks so much!

You have a beautiful little noodle. Glad you were able to figure her out. I just got my Peach a few months ago and she's over a year old now. I found myself worrying that much about her as well. It's a good sign that you are a good parent. Enjoy your little one.

Back