CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Only staying on cold side

Old 08-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
mcnann_fam
Only staying on cold side

It was warm this summer in the 90's so when Valentine decided to only stay on the cold side it made sense. Now she is still hanging out over there. She is eating and pooping normally but she isn't active as much. I am up till 3am some night and she is never out. She is active when I take her out and handle her but is always obviously cold to the touch. Sometimes too cold IMO. We had her tank by the window and I have moved it to an inside wall.

Her thermostat is set at 85 degree. I have checked that it is functioning properly with our laser thermometer.

Thoughts?

Old 08-31-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Your body temp is about 98 degrees. Anything cooler than that will feel cold to you. Just because your snake "Feels Cold" doesn't mean it is cold. You can't go by the way they feel, rather rely on the actual temperatures.

If you provide the correct temps inside the cage , and you know for sure they are the correct temps, then the rest is up to the snake. It will hang out where it's most comfortable.

If the snake "Always stays on the cold side" and never goes to the warm side, maybe you are not reading the temps correctly.

The temps should be taken inside the Hides. So your cold side temp should be measure inside the cold hide and the warm side temp should be measured inside the warm side hide.

I like to use one of those "Point and Shoot Infrared" type thermometers. You simply aim it at the point, pull the trigger and you instantly get the temps.

Just because you have your Thermostat set at 85 doesn't mean it is. And some of those cheap thermostats don't work very well and those cheap stick on thermometers are really useless anyway.

After you verify everything is correct, then the snake will do what it wants. No problems. My snake spends time in both locations.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
mcnann_fam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Your body temp is about 98 degrees. Anything cooler than that will feel cold to you. Just because your snake "Feels Cold" doesn't mean it is cold. You can't go by the way they feel, rather rely on the actual temperatures.

If you provide the correct temps inside the cage , and you know for sure they are the correct temps, then the rest is up to the snake. It will hang out where it's most comfortable.

If the snake "Always stays on the cold side" and never goes to the warm side, maybe you are not reading the temps correctly.

The temps should be taken inside the Hides. So your cold side temp should be measure inside the cold hide and the warm side temp should be measured inside the warm side hide.

I like to use one of those "Point and Shoot Infrared" type thermometers. You simply aim it at the point, pull the trigger and you instantly get the temps.

Just because you have your Thermostat set at 85 doesn't mean it is. And some of those cheap thermostats don't work very well and those cheap stick on thermometers are really useless anyway.

After you verify everything is correct, then the snake will do what it wants. No problems. My snake spends time in both locations.
We also use an infrared thermometer. Found the issue. When I moved the tank the thermostat reset. I assume it held its place. Good grief. Post made for nothing.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
DeuceRon
Posts are only made for nothing if you don't post them. Glad it's working out for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google