• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake tale rattle question

kayjaypah

What does it mean when a corn snake rattles her tale like a rattler snake when I try to handle her? She will also whip my hand with her tale. Is this common?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does it mean when a corn snake rattles her tale like a rattler snake when I try to handle her? She will also whip my hand with her tale. Is this common?

How old is she?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

All snakes rattle their tails. It's just that rattlesnakes are the only ones that have the rattles on the end.

But if you ever come upon a king snake or rat snake in a pile of leaves or gravel you'd swear you heard a rattle snake.

Generally snakes rattle their tails as a warning. It means "Leave me alone."

The babies do this because they are scared and see us (people) as a threat or possible predator. Once they get older and get to know you, they usually outgrow the tail rattling.

My Corn snake rattled its tail the very first time I tried to pick it up. It has not done it since.

All snakes rattle their tails. It's just that rattlesnakes are the only ones that have the rattles on the end.

But if you ever come upon a king snake or rat snake in a pile of leaves or gravel you'd swear you heard a rattle snake.

Generally snakes rattle their tails as a warning. It means "Leave me alone."

The babies do this because they are scared and see us (people) as a threat or possible predator. Once they get older and get to know you, they usually outgrow the tail rattling.

My Corn snake rattled its tail the very first time I tried to pick it up. It has not done it since.

This snake was purchased a few weeks ago. She was already a year old and very friendly. I had no problem handling her the second week and the week after that. It was just this week she started. Could she be starting a shed? Her coloring looks the same, so I can't tell.

This snake was purchased a few weeks ago. She was already a year old and very friendly. I had no problem handling her the second week and the week after that. It was just this week she started. Could she be starting a shed? Her coloring looks the same, so I can't tell.

Mine didn't really show signs of shedding either. Maybe a little duller in color, but I noticed her belly felt rough instead is smooth. She definitely wanted to be left alone right before and right after her shed.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back