CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"blood red corns"????????

Old 06-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
phillyroc
"blood red corns"????????

i am in the process of doing my homework and am ready to go out and purchase my first corn and i want it to be a "blood red corn"....... but i have read that they are hard to get to feed.. is this true, and what can you do to help them eat,,, i read you could feed them anoles...... or rub anoles onto pinkies....

is geting a blood red as a first time corn owner a mistake????

thanks

rocco

Old 06-08-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
carol
If you are a beginner, I would not recommend buying a bloodred right out of the egg. However, most reputable breeders only sell thier hatchlings only after they have been consistantly feeding on pinkies unless otherwise noted. Once you decide on a breeder, let them know you are a beginner and ask them to select a particularly hardy one out of the clutch. Even in one clutch some have stronger feeding responses than others. I have had some bloodred hatchlings give me trouble with feeding, but once you get them going on pinks they never look back.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
kathylove
I would not suggest ANY "right out of the egg" babies...

for a first time owner. Even if they are cheaper, save that experience for later, when you have had more time to learn. Most bloods start fine for me (as do most corns), but you won't know WHICH few will be the troublemakers until after you have tried feeding them a few times. If you buy from a reptuable breeder who has seen the baby feed voluntarily a few times, I would not expect you to have any more trouble with a bloodred than with any other corn.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
Ciryluk
Talking Bloodreds are fine

Well I have a yearling Bloodred.. he is 9 months old... not long after I got him in March someone told me Bloodreds were weak and not very good feeders! I have found this little rumour to be largely un true.... my Bloodred Corn is a very good feeder... eating small adult mice every week.. he never misses a feed, even when in shed and he's growing fast I don't what that person meant when they said Bloodreds were weak but my Bloodred certainly is anything but weak!

But maybe I was lucky with that one? I am still waiting for an un related 2003 yearling female to become ready for me to collect her so maybe there is some truth in them being picky/difficult feeders?

Cheryl

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google