CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Bloodred question

Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
MysticExotics
Bloodred question

I have two babies, that were labeled as poss het pied, from a pair of Bloodred parents, the male is pied.
Since both parents are BR, wouldn't the babies be BR?
These two don't have the grey head, or the diffusion, but they are more reddish, & each have a clear stripe down their belly.
I figured they'd be het for BR, since both parents are BR, but someone said the whole clutch should be BR then.
I'll post a few pics...
The first three are Nakai, the male, & the other two are Nivi, the female.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
MysticExotics
They both look like they had checkers, & someone took an eraser & erased a line down their belly.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
fyrefocks
They are both normals that display masque.

There are a couple different options here. First would be that one of the parents was not BR like the breeder claimed. We all know that homo BR x homo BR = 100% homo BR babies.

Second, the female could have retained sperm from a previous pairing.

Was this the first breeding for the female? If not, what was she bred with before the sire to your babies?

Do you have pics of the parents?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefocks View Post
They are both normals that display masque.

There are a couple different options here. First would be that one of the parents was not BR like the breeder claimed. We all know that homo BR x homo BR = 100% homo BR babies.

Second, the female could have retained sperm from a previous pairing.

Was this the first breeding for the female? If not, what was she bred with before the sire to your babies?

Do you have pics of the parents?
I don't have pics of the parents, but I did see them, & they're both BR. I don't know this breeder well, but he has a pretty good reputation locally. I would be inclined to believe him that the parents were in fact BR as he said.
I got them second hand, from someone else, but I was with her when she picked out the babies.
The retained sperm could be the answer. I will have to ask him if/who she was paired with before. I don't think he even had any normals in his breeding stock. I'll have to double check.
The clutch consisted of babies that either looked like mine, & some obvious BR's.
Thanks Nate!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Shiari
Those are definitely *not* bloodreds. :/ Could one of the parents have actually been a motley?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
fyrefocks
Id love to see pics of the BRs that produced not BRs. Is that possible? Can you get pics?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
MysticExotics
I'll see what I can do about getting pics

Old 10-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
SnakeAround
If the male is pied, all baby's are 100% het pied, since pied is recessive as far as I know. I guess someone mixed up something somewhere.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel View Post
If the male is pied, all baby's are 100% het pied, since pied is recessive as far as I know. I guess someone mixed up something somewhere.
Yeah, these babies are het p/s br. But if both parents are BR then the babies should be BR too. Thats what we're discussing currently.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Those are definitely *not* bloodreds. :/ Could one of the parents have actually been a motley?
I know they're not BR, & I don't know about the motley possibility. I have an email in to the breeder.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google