CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Conehead" Adult Corn?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Talesse
"Conehead" Adult Corn?

Hello everybody, this is my new 3 year old anery corn snake, named Gibbs, that I purchased off Kijiji back in January when the owners were moving to another province and couldn't take him with them. He's in pretty good condition with no mites or stuck shed and is very friendly and curious. Even though the previous owners obviously cared about him, he only had a single hide in his tank that was above an unregulated UTH.

The interesting thing about him is that Gibbs has an obvious lump right on top of his head, which you can see in the photos below. I looked it up, and it seems that the "conehead" shape is caused by temperature spikes during incubation. I also read that the babies with it tend not to survive and that adults will usually grow out of it, but there was otherwise not much information that I could find about adults with the condition.

Has anyone else encountered this in a full-grown corn snake before? It doesn't seem to affect him at all since he feeds just fine and the only difference is his visual appearance.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has a snake like him or any experience with it. Thanks for reading!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Weda737
Awww, I want to make a little paper top hat and put it over his bump. Seriously though, I have never seen this personally so I can't offer much, he sure seems healthy and happy though.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
IronOutTheIrony
aww, he has a mohawk! adorable!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
ghosthousecorns
He's a character! I hatched one that did not live, unfortunately. Very interesting to see an adult. I can say it's the first adult "conehead" I have seen. What a survivor!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Justine66
aweee, yeah he looks like he got bumped on the head! :O
what a cutie!

He's a handsome looking boy though!

wish I could offer more insight but you already seem to know the same things that I know about "cone headed corns".. If it dose not effect him, and he's healthy. I would just consider him special for making it as a hatchling and still having his little "cap" as an adult..

He's also very lucky to have found you!
I'm sure he's loving his new home.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Talesse
Thanks so much for posting, everyone!

I think he's pretty adorable too. He's the first adult corn I've closely interacted with, so seeing a normal corn up close in person will seem weird after having him, haha!

I wonder if there was anything unusual or special about him that allowed him to survive, or if it was just luck.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
WestCoast_Redneck
He's so adorable! Cone heads were a First Nations status symbol in the early 19th century ( other cultures too of course) but because your Canadian... I would name him Chief!

I also have no advise, but I'll totally follow this thread hoping someone more experienced chips in....I would like to know if there's any health concern for him or if anyone else has a snake with a cone head! You definitely have a special corn!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
AliCat37
Ahaha he is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!

He's a lucky guy I guess

Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Talesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast_Redneck View Post
He's so adorable! Cone heads were a First Nations status symbol in the early 19th century ( other cultures too of course) but because your Canadian... I would name him Chief!

I also have no advise, but I'll totally follow this thread hoping someone more experienced chips in....I would like to know if there's any health concern for him or if anyone else has a snake with a cone head! You definitely have a special corn!
Hey that's interesting, thanks! "Gibbs" is the name the previous owners had for him, though I may use Chief as a nickname.

I forgot to mention that his bump is not soft at all, but is very firm, so it's probably a misshapen skull.

I will come back and check for posts again tomorrow!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Justine66
Your too welcome!

I love him!
he's personable if you know what I mean..?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google