• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Family of wild baby corns left a present

Talane

Well since getting a corn of my own has been delayed for a bit due to financial reasons, here's something a little more uplifting!

We are staying at my in-law's place tonight and my father in-law called me outside this evening to see a baby snake on a chair right outside their house. I identified it as a little baby corn. (Sadly they had one similar to it crawl into their AC unit where it got all chopped up.)
I watched the little guy crawl away into the bed of lava rocks and almost jumped back when I saw around 10 long white things there. Turns out he and some of his friends decided to use the lava rocks and this nice moist night to shed. This is the first time I've seen so many snake sheds in one place!

check for eggs around the area. I'd bet they hatched, bunkered down, and then started to disburse once they did post-hatching shed.

I looked around a little and didn't see any eggs, but I did find what looks like a little den opening leading under the house that has seen some recent use. I'll check more tomorrow in the daylight when I can see better

Alright, the little hole leading under the house seems to be where they came out from. I found little snake marks in the dirt there. They all came around the house the same way, all the skins were headed away from the hole. Hopefully they didn't go too far, I'd love to see these little guys around every now and then!

If only my in-laws shared that sentiment! I don't think I'll be seeing any corns around outside my house considering I saw a black racer out there not too long ago :(

Back