CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UVB and day/night cycles

Old 02-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Seaweedthesnake
UVB and day/night cycles

Hello!

I thought I finally perfected my baby’s enclosure but now the dilemma of lighting!

I’m using UVB which I read in some random literature is useful for snakes but now on here from experienced keepers I’m seeing that’s not quite true.

Some background: about 6 months old, 20 gal glass enclosure, UTH. She must stay in my bedroom pretty much for lack of a better placement (cats, kids). There’s a big vertical window with blinds which she is not next to but most parts of the day some light comes in. At night it’s dark and we try to keep the room light off but it doesn’t always work that way as we humans inhabit that room and need light after dark sometimes.

I’m going to try cover the glass in her enclosure for night but I’m wondering a few things:
The top metal screen is the only ventilation she has, if I cover it with fabric won’t it stop airflow or raise the humidity?

Anyone have experience with day and night lighting? I’m thinking if that’s okay then that would be the best option as we could just use that light as the room light and we can just use whatever light she’s using for our humanly behaviors!

Also what light bulb specifics do you recommend ?

Lastly I would like to use a timer for the light. Any experience with that? She seems to be quite active during the day but hardly moves an inch at night so I think I’ve messed up her cycles :c

Thanks guys all advice is appreciated!!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Thank you that’s what I needed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google