CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Ball Python Refuses to Eat!! Any Help???

Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Penman6668
Ball Python Refuses to Eat!! Any Help???

I got a Ball Python on May 21 and was told that she ate f/t on May 16. I have tried to feed her several times but she has refused. It has been less than a month so I am not overly concerned yet but starting to get there.

She is about 18 inches long (45 cm). I was told she eats hoppers. I was trying to feed her a f/t fuzzy just to make sure that she could eat it and if she had no problem, I was going to move to a f/t hopper next time.

I heard that if a Ball Python does not eat for awhile, you should try to feed it a live mouse. I was wondering if that is a good idea and how long should I wait before trying? Also does that affect them with eating f/t? If there are other suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you!!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Tula_Montage
It's to be expected with balls really :-p
What size of tank do you keep her in?

Stress is usually the main reason why they wont eat, and open spaces they can easily get them stressed out.

Do you have lots of hides or plants etc?

Have you tried braining, scenting etc?

Old 06-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Penman6668
She is in a twenty gallon long. She has two hides, a branch for climbing, a plant (covers about half the tank) and lots of aspen covering the floor.

I have tried braining.

I heard that ball python are picky eaters, I guess this is true.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Tula_Montage
Maybe try divinding half the tank so shes in a much more closed in environment... i have seen balls not eat for months and when put into a much smaller tank, calm down and eventually eat.

They are easily strung out little snakes

Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
TandJ
BP's seem to have issues about eatting.. I have started to use a 5 gallon bucket with lid to feed the BP's.. I have had BP's take 2 to 3 monthes before they ate.. Live or F/t.. Here is something else I have noticed with one of BP's.. It does not like white mice or rats, they need to be brown or black.. Go figure a racist python.. *LOL*

Regards Tim of T and J

Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
TandJ
BTW Tula, nice lucei BP for your avatar.

Regards Tim of T and J

Old 06-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
PtDnsr
Who did you get her from (if you remember)? I'd try picking up a live fuzzy at the next show and going from there. They can be very picky (I'm fighting with lots right now) and you might just need to jump start her again. Let me know who you got her from though if you can remember.

~Katie

Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
lefty_mussolini
My suggestion, is to leave the snake alone for a week. Put somethhing around the glass of the viv, like a towel to obstuct view and do not bother it at all. After a week, quietly put a f/t fuzzy in the viv at night and leave it overnight. Quietly check in the morning. I would hesitate to feed live right away. I once had a Ball Python that was doing the nervous anorexia thing, and when I tried to kickstart it's appetite with a live mouse, it was terrified. That snake held out for 3 months and barely lost weight, so you shouldn't worry too much. Another thing to remember, is that even though you are worried, don't attempt to feed too often. Wait 5-7 days between attempts.
Ball Pythons can be (but aren't always) some of the most nervous snakes ever and they stop eating at the drop of a hat. It seems to me that 2 weeks acclimation is not enough for them in alot of cases.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
Penman6668
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtDnsr
Who did you get her from (if you remember)? I'd try picking up a live fuzzy at the next show and going from there. They can be very picky (I'm fighting with lots right now) and you might just need to jump start her again. Let me know who you got her from though if you can remember.

~Katie
I can not remember the guys mane. It was that the Harmar House. He was younger, late twenties/early thirties. His displayed had kings, corns & pythons. I think he is usually along the back wall. The snakes were displayed in the plexiglass tiered display. Will you be at the next show?

Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
Penman6668
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty_mussolini
My suggestion, is to leave the snake alone for a week. Put somethhing around the glass of the viv, like a towel to obstuct view and do not bother it at all. After a week, quietly put a f/t fuzzy in the viv at night and leave it overnight. Quietly check in the morning. I would hesitate to feed live right away. I once had a Ball Python that was doing the nervous anorexia thing, and when I tried to kickstart it's appetite with a live mouse, it was terrified. That snake held out for 3 months and barely lost weight, so you shouldn't worry too much. Another thing to remember, is that even though you are worried, don't attempt to feed too often. Wait 5-7 days between attempts.
Ball Pythons can be (but aren't always) some of the most nervous snakes ever and they stop eating at the drop of a hat. It seems to me that 2 weeks acclimation is not enough for them in alot of cases.
Thank you. I will leave her alone for a little while.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google