• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Jump start" thermostat question/ help required

smale492

So I just set up my jump start thermostat and set the temp at 89 degrees to test how warm I need to set it to keep it between 84-87. The problem is it got up to 89 degrees and the little led light by "heating" turned off when it got there and them temp started going down instead of retaining the 89 degrees. Did I do something wrong or is it just regulating and will go back to 89 or what? I need help fast since I am getting the snake tomorrow.

Okay, here's how it works. Your thermostat is set to hold a temperature. But it can only turn your heat pad on or off. So when the heat pad gets too hot, the thermostat turns it off. When the heat pad gets too cold the thermostat turns it on.

What I do is basically ignore the thermostat. I have a thermometer with a probe on it and that's what I use to monitor the temperature. I keep thermometer reading between 85 and 87. To do that I actually set my thermostat more like 95. In my case the thermostat probe is on the outside of the pad, outside my snake's enclosure, but the principle is the same if the thermostat probe is inside next to the thermometer probe. I just set the thermostat to keep whatever temperature I want as measured by the thermometer inside on the glass under the aspen in the inside of the warm hide. I keep it a little on the warm side of 85 because it is under the aspen unless my snake burrows down to the glass. 87 is still safe if my snake burrows.

I know this sounds complicated but it is easy when you have your thermometer in place and monitor the temperature using it.

Okay, here's how it works. Your thermostat is set to hold a temperature. But it can only turn your heat pad on or off. So when the heat pad gets too hot, the thermostat turns it off. When the heat pad gets too cold the thermostat turns it on.

What I do is basically ignore the thermostat. I have a thermometer with a probe on it and that's what I use to monitor the temperature. I keep thermometer reading between 85 and 87. To do that I actually set my thermostat more like 95. In my case the thermostat probe is on the outside of the pad, outside my snake's enclosure, but the principle is the same if the thermostat probe is inside next to the thermometer probe. I just set the thermostat to keep whatever temperature I want as measured but the thermometer inside on the glass under the aspen in the inside of the warm hide. I keep it a little on the warm side of 85 because it is under the aspen unless my snake burrows down to the glass. 87 is still safe if my snake burrows.

I know this sounds complicated but it is easy when you have your thermometer in place and monitor the temperature using it.

Yeah I have thermometer reading 84 pretty constantly but when I feel the aspen or the bottom of the tank it doesnt feel warm. Im just gonna assume Its just because our body is warmer so it doesnt feel warm to us. Idk Im stressing way to hard.

It should feel warmer than the surrounding glass not on top of the heat pad. If you are uncertain of your thermometer check it against another known good thermometer. It should be within 2 degrees.

P.S. I stress at least the first 24 hours of getting any new snake. It is very happy but it is stressful. Just take is as a sign that you really care. It's okay and normal, IMO.

It should feel warmer than the surrounding glass not on top of the heat pad. If you are uncertain of your thermometer check it against another known good thermometer. It should be within 2 degrees.

P.S. I stress at least the first 24 hours of getting any new snake. It is very happy but it is stressful. Just take is as a sign that you really care. It's okay and normal, IMO.

I have 2 thermostats in the tank and the one on the cool side is reading 76.8 so the heat pad must be working because they would be the same temp other wise.

I have 2 thermostats in the tank and the one on the cool side is reading 76.8 so the heat pad must be working because they would be the same temp other wise.

It all sounds good. Let us know all about your snake tomorrow, with pictures if possible!

Keep in mind, what "Feels Warm to you" is very hot to a snake. Your Body Temperature is about 98 to 99 degrees. Anything less than that feels Cool and anything more than that feels warm.

Measure the "Warm Spot" with a reliable thermometer and as long as it's between 83 and 88 the snake will be fine, regardless of "How it Feels" when you touch it.

You are doing fine, with all the advice above. I just wanted to say congrats on you soon-to-be-arriving squiggle.

Back