• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temperature for corn snake

yducky

Hi everyone! So I just got a baby corn snake at the end of October. The breeder said it didn’t need heat. However, I knew from research that it would need a heat source. So I put a heat mat on the side of the tank. That only raised the temperature by 5 degrees. I attached another mat on the underside of the tank with a thermostat. That only raised the temperature by 2 degrees so now the hot end is 72 degrees. He ate before I attached any heat sources but wouldn't last night. What should I try next to raise the temperature? Shouldn't a higher heat encourage digestion?

How are you measuring the temperatures? What sort of thermometer are you using? If you're using the stick-on dial type thermometers those are not only immensely inaccurate but the also only measure the temperature where *they* are, not where the heat source is.
For accurate temps you need a digital probe thermometer, with the probe placed on the glass directly over the heat source, and/or an infrared thermometer (these run about $15 on amazon) to check for hot spots. Ambient air temperature is not particularly important as long as your snake can get to an appropriate warm spot.

Originally I used the stick on kind. I had read that they need to lay on the terrarium floor to get an accurate reading. Now I'm checking the digital thermostat. The probe is laying next to the stick on thermometer on the floor.

The thermostat control the heat mat, but the thermometer measures. The stick on ones can be off by a *lot*. They are a waste of money.

The thermostat probe should not be in the tank. And while it might regulate the heat mat, you ALSO need a thermometer to double check it and because the temp on the mat is not necessarily the same as in the cage.

For example, I use flexwatt on the outside of vivs made from expanded PVC. To reach a surface temp inside the cage of 83*, I have to set the thermostat to 90*.

You might also save up for a thermostat designed for reptiles, like the VE series or a herpstat.

You don’t have to boil the mice or pinky just put one in some warm water for about 10 - 15 minutes then drain it out and add some hot water from the tap for another one minute next dry it off with a paper towel and serve on a silver platter

Don’t over think this it is a corn snake one of the easiest snakes to care for
Water
Temps
Mice
Clean
And the hardest thing about them is they love to escape

I do love my little baby snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back