CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How long to wait

Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Aehill
How long to wait

I have a male sulphur that I got from a breeder 2 weeks ago on Sunday. The breeder's feeding chart for this guy said that he'd eaten f/t's at 3 consecutive feedings. After giving him some time to get used to his new surroundings, I attempted to feed him a f/t last night. I placed him in a small container with the pinkie, covered it, and left it for the night. Found him this morning cuddled up to his dead pinkie like it was a teddy bear...

My question is: How long should I wait until trying to feed him again?

Other potentially useful info: He was hatched on July 7th of last month. I haven't handled him other than taking pics of him the day I got him right before putting him in his new viv. He seems to be plenty active at night almost immediately when the timer turns his lamp off around 7pm (not a heat lamp).

Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Aehill
I should probably also add that it was a local breeder that I picked him up from, so there shouldn't have been too much stress (I wouldn't think) from that as opposed to being shipped.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
MysticExotics
Is he possibly going into shed? That might be why he refused.
I usually wait a week, especially with new babies, if they refuse.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Aehill
He doesn't appear to be about to go into shed, but I guess it's a possibility. He looks to still be his bright, beautiful self.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
Nanci
It wouldn't hurt to offer him a slit pink. That's all I feed, anyway. You just cut tiny slits through the skull and back with a small scissors. And make sure it's REALLY hot when you offer it. Since he's not eaten once for you, I'd do that plus cover him, and check in an hour or two. Feed at the end of the day, after sunset. REALLY small container (with airholes). If he hasn't eaten, I'd either reheat, then leave overnight, OR pour boiling water over the pink, and then leave overnight.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Aehill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
It wouldn't hurt to offer him a slit pink. That's all I feed, anyway. You just cut tiny slits through the skull and back with a small scissors. And make sure it's REALLY hot when you offer it. Since he's not eaten once for you, I'd do that plus cover him, and check in an hour or two. Feed at the end of the day, after sunset. REALLY small container (with airholes). If he hasn't eaten, I'd either reheat, then leave overnight, OR pour boiling water over the pink, and then leave overnight.
So you're saying it'd be ok to go ahead and try again tonight and just slit the pinkie? Should I slit the pinkie before or after I thaw aaand heat?

Old 08-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Nanci
After. So you've had him two weeks, and he hasn't eaten or shed, and you attempted last night? He's gotta be SO close to ready to go blue. Is he out and active at night? I think I'd skip one or two days, then try again. Or if he's out and active and you're REALLY worried, try tonight, but if he doesn't eat then, I'd skip for 5-7 days, and definitely not attempt if he goes blue in that time period.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
Aehill
Quote:
After. So you've had him two weeks, and he hasn't eaten or shed, and you attempted last night? He's gotta be SO close to ready to go blue. Is he out and active at night? I think I'd skip one or two days, then try again. Or if he's out and active and you're REALLY worried, try tonight, but if he doesn't eat then, I'd skip for 5-7 days, and definitely not attempt if he goes blue in that time period.
I'm not worried at this point. I was more just curious as to when to attempt to feed him again, as I don't want to stress him out by trying to much. He's been very active every night since we got him home... Even the first night we had him, as soon as the lamp went off, he was out and about. I think I'll try again with slitting the pinkie on Sunday evening and see what happens. If he doesn't eat that one, then I'll wait until the following Sunday. If he still won't eat, I'll start to get a bit concerned.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Aehill
... Unless, of course, he's gone blue by or before then...

Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
Aehill
Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice, Nanci! Did exactly what you said last night, and he ate with no problem. I think I may not have been getting them hot enough for him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google