CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Baby Corn Died Eating Crickets

Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
applejacks
Don't feel bad. I was given the same bad advice. THe lady told me at the petstore that she fed him three crickets every other day. When i got home and tried, he completely ignored them, letting them jump all over him.

I knew that wasnt right, so I went out and bought pinkies. Not before asking the people at this site (who might I add jumped all over my case for even trying the crickets. Good thing the people who answered your post are a little nicer).

Good luck with your next one.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
tam&biff
So sorry to hear of your loss, some real bad advice from the pet shop indeed, please listen to the guys on this forum thay really know what there talking about, don't forget to search the forums and I'm sure you will find all you need to know but dint give up on a corn snake there great animals and kids love them..
good luck
tam....

Old 10-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
joepythons
Wink people

Now that is some really stupid info that pet store employee gave you point blank. When ever you want to know the truth about corn snakes ask the members here.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
Tyger9791
wow i'm surprised the snake even ate the crickets!

i've overheard pet store employees telling people to feed hatchling snakes crickets. they think that all reptiles eat crickets i guess...and dont worry about the pink being too big, just about every hatchling can down a pink. one pink every 4-5 days should be sufficient to begin with. you might want to let your new replacement snake settle in for a day or two before trying to feed him. they usually get stressed when placed in a new environment and wont eat at first.

when i got my first CA wood turtle, the guy i bought him from said to feed him crickets and a variety of greens. so i went to the pet store on the way home and bought him crickets. he didnt touch the crickets. so i did some research and found out that they eat pinks and nightcrawlers and veggies.

we've all gotten bad advice before...dont sweat it. just do research and definitely get Kathy Love's book about corns. corns are quite easy to care for.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger9791
wow i'm surprised the snake even ate the crickets
The issue isn't as black and white as most people think: The Guide to Owning a Cornsnake by Jerry G. Walls, T.F.H. Publications, Inc.
"Although the Red Rat Snake feeds on a variety of prey animals, ranging from frogs and lizards (and even insects) when young to rodents, bats, and birds when adults, your Corn Snake does not need much variety at all."

Caring for Corn Snakes by Melissa Kaplan http://www.anapsid.org/corn.html
"While the Elaphes feed on everything ranging from fish to frogs to rodents to mammals, wild Corns start off feeding on small invertebrates and vertebrates, such as crickets. "

Wild hatchling corn snakes will eat what they can get, including crickets, worms and grubs. That doesn't mean those are a healthy diet, but they do provide protein that allows the neonate to get strong enough to catch better quality prey. I doubt that a cricket has enough nutritional value, especially one not gut loaded, to maintain a corn snake, but a pet store owner who doesn't know that corn snakes are ratters probably doesn't understand gut loading much better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google