CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Terrarium decoration

Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
Rubyredslithers
Terrarium decoration

So we cut down a tree today. We have a cool stump we would love to put in the terrarium for Clifford. Can we? What do we need to do to make it okay for him? We were gonna sand down any sharp pieces.
TIA
Kat

Old 05-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
GitaBooks
Sounds awesome. : )

There are always precautions to take when setting up hides (avoid bacteria, fungus, insects/pests, toxic wood). However, when I set up our Corn Snake's tanks, I didn't do the whole "scrub with soap and bleach and soak for a day and then cook for a couple hours and dry in the sun for a day" thing. We have stumps in both of our Corn's cages and they haven't caused a problem so far. In fact, some of the edges (not too sharp) help them shed. Cooking is probably the safest way to get rid of parasites, bacteria and fungus all at the same time without having to add any chemicals or soaps to it.

Hope this helps! : )

Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
if it's any kind of Pine Tree or relative of Pine, (Cedar, Spruce, Fir, etc...) Don't use it.

Pine trees are toxic to snakes. They have an oil in the sap that effects snakes Neurologically and can be lethal.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Rubyredslithers
Thank you. It's probably in the pine family so we aren't risking it.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
athenagoddess2344
I am getting my very first snake tomorrow, it is a miami head corn, baby, and i'm so excited! I picked up a ceramic water bowl, a cling on small jungle plant, and eco-earth today. I already have a natural non-toxic half log hide. I am also getting some pinkies or fuzzies, but will probably wait a week before feeding... Do i need anything else? (i already have a heat lamp) my terrarium is an Exo Terra, decent sized with swinging and locking front doors, and a screen top with tabs that swivel to lock it in place. Should i buy a humidifier or anything?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by athenagoddess2344 View Post
....... 1). I picked up a ceramic water bowl, a cling on small jungle plant, and eco-earth today. I already have a natural non-toxic half log hide..... 2). I am also getting some pinkies or fuzzies, but will probably wait a week before feeding... Do i need anything else? 3).(i already have a heat lamp) my terrarium is an Exo Terra, decent sized with swinging and locking front doors, and a screen top with tabs that swivel to lock it in place. Should i buy a humidifier or anything?
1). nothing wrong with the items you mention, but 2 hides are better than 1, and 3 are better than 2. 4 small cling on plants would be better than 1. COrn snakes like a well cluttered home. If you can look in and see "Open Areas" then the snake will probably be uncomfortable. It is recommended you have at least 1 hiding spot over the hot end of the cage and 1 hiding spot on the cool end of the cage, and I will go a step further and say another one somewhere in the middle.

2). There is a big difference between pinkies and fuzzies. Don't try to feed a fuzzy to a baby snake that can't handle it. And conversely, if it's a bigger snake don't feed it pinkies. We recommend weighing the snake. You'll need a "Kitchen Scale" for weighing food, but they work nicely for weighing snakes too. You can also weigh the meals. Most of these type scales weigh in ounces and grams. You can obtain one at Walmart, Target, or just about anywhere Kitchen Wares are sold. They range in price from about 15 bucks to 50 bucks. I think I gave about 30 for mine and it's pretty nice.

3). I would recommend you ditch the heat lamp. Most of the people around here would agree, but you'll get a few who sympathize with you. Heat lamps tend to dry out the air which can also cause humidity problems. They also have to be left on all the time. It would be better to use an "Under the Tank Heat Pad" (UTH) hooked up to a thermostat. That way the heat will be on all the time and properly regulated, and your snake can enjoy the 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness (simulating normal Day and Night) which a overhead lamp will not do. Corn snakes for the most part are not "Basking Snakes" and really don't need a lot of light. Natural room light is fine. If it stays light all the time or dark all the time, their natural body clock and Metabolism will get out of whack.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google