• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eve - Cape african house snake

Sounds like you need a proportional thermostat-- one that will hold a steady temp.

I'm so sorry you are having these probs. Very frustrating! Clyde sends hellos to his best girl Eve.

At this point, unless your room temp is very cold, like under 70, no heat is safer. Right now we are on air conditioning here and my temp where my snakes are is 73. That's fine for a few days rather than the swings. If it won't mess up your whole rack just keep your house at 75 or 76 for a few days.

Sounds like you need a proportional thermostat-- one that will hold a steady temp.

I'm so sorry you are having these probs. Very frustrating! Clyde sends hellos to his best girl Eve.

At this point, unless your room temp is very cold, like under 70, no heat is safer. Right now we are on air conditioning here and my temp where my snakes are is 73. That's fine for a few days rather than the swings. If it won't mess up your whole rack just keep your house at 75 or 76 for a few days.

A proportional thermostat was what I had that went up to 115 and still climbing on it's lowest setting, so now I'm scared to spend the money and time to try again and have her unsettled for even longer. Fortunately I was able to return that one. What I've done is purchased another one of the jump starts, which I've had no issues with the other two until now, and I will regulate the smaller cages separately.

However, you may be right that it's better to keep her at room temps for a couple of days until it gets here. I will try to do some more research about the best way to deal with it. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Checked on Eve today and she was being so cute I hurried up and snapped a couple of pictures without checking if my lens was clean. It wasn't. So I apologize for the hazy pictures, but I'll share them anyway because it's not often she "hides" out in the open like this. It actually took me a minute to find her because I simply wasn't looking there.

The last pic/series is for DollysMom who knows exactly what it's like to have a snake that absolutely insists on helping with the picture taking! :rofl:

1 20160617sm.jpg

2 20160617sm.jpg

3 20160617sm.jpg

eve small.jpg

Lol, it must be genetic. Clyde does the same thing. Make getting decent pictures challenging to say the least. She's such a little cutie!

2017 update

Well, I finally got around to taking a few pictures with my new phone, so no more cracked lens! The camera loves Eve, it has no problem finding her and focusing on her, and she loves the camera! So the hardest part of this was deciding which pictures to share. Get ready for the spam!

Eve has been eating only every 4 to 6 weeks for the past 5 months, so this is also an opportunity for you all to judge her appearance and let me know if I'm crazy to think she's still looking just fine. She's a little dark at the moment, kind of like she is thinking about shedding soon, but is still very active so she's definitely not starting to go blue yet.

She's now 250g and was 3'3" at last measuring, which was in March. I know I'm not supposed to play favorites with my snakes, but I love her like a person. LOL. She's my baby, and definitely a favorite. :laugh:

Here are the first 5 pictures... one more post coming...

Eve 13 20170521.jpg

Eve 11 20170521.jpg

Eve 10 20170521.jpg

Eve 9 20170521.jpg

Eve 8 20170521.jpg

Gorgeous! She still looks very healthy to me.

I'd also say that her head looks female, there are a few subtle differences in male and female head shape on older Capes, not quite as easy to see as tail shape though.

Gorgeous! She still looks very healthy to me.

I'd also say that her head looks female, there are a few subtle differences in male and female head shape on older Capes, not quite as easy to see as tail shape though.

Thank you... for the compliment and the info! I'll see if I can get a good picture of her tail in the next day or two. It's a little harder since she's always tying herself into such knots, but if I give her time to relax, and don't worry about getting any of the rest of her in the shot, I'm sure I can manage it.

I'm glad you agree about her health. I very much respect your opinion!

Stunning. She has a lovely iridescence, too. I agree on the early shed, Clyde goes from caramel to chocolate before shed. Everything I can see says female to me as well, though Tavia is definitely the expert in that department. Glad she is so well loved! She is a beautiful girl!

Stunning. She has a lovely iridescence, too. I agree on the early shed, Clyde goes from caramel to chocolate before shed. Everything I can see says female to me as well, though Tavia is definitely the expert in that department. Glad she is so well loved! She is a beautiful girl!

Thank you! <3 She is SO loved!

Eve's tail

Tavia, here are some pictures of her tail for you to look at. I don't know if they're good enough. I've never been able to master the art of sexing by tail shape, no matter how hard I try.

Also one extra picture, just because it's so cute.

Eve tail 4.jpg

Eve cute.jpg

Eve tail 1.jpg

Eve tail 2.jpg

Eve tail 3.jpg

Tavia does it by education and a lot of experience. I do it by education and a little experience. If we differ, believe Tavia.

P.S. I love the pic in the hood or sleeve. Clyde always tries to climb up my sleeve. I can remember a month ago holding him and his racing up my sleeve as we waited in the exam room for the vet. I got him back out without taking off my shirt but I was afraid there for a moment. AWKWARD!

Back