CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Putting my snake to sleep?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
lexaa
Putting my snake to sleep?

Hi, I have had my corn snake Rosie for as long as I can remember. She was a rescue, but she is around 20 years old (her estimating age putting her at 23). In the recent months, her health has gone hill drastically. She stopped eating in December, ate in February, regurgitated what she ate 3 days later, and then ate a tiny mouse in around March. In the past three months, she has lost 200 grams and has very visibly gotten quite a bit skinnier. Since I hold her every day, I didn't notice much of a difference, but when my mom saw her yesterday she said that she has never seen her this unhealthy looking. Rosie has had issues holding onto my arm when I am holding her and has trouble navigating her cage. She also flipped on her back today and spent quite a bit of time attempting to right herself. I offered her a mouse today in which she refused to eat. I was wondering if you guys thought that it would be a good idea to put her to sleep at this point. I love her more than anything and only want the best for her. I am very low on money, but my mom has offered to pay to get her put her to sleep if it comes down to this.
Thanks, Lexa

Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
daddio207
I would get the vet's opinion.
What you are describing is typical when a snake is near their end of life.
My sympathy to you and Rosie for this sad experience.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
lexaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
I would get the vet's opinion.
What you are describing is typical when a snake is near their end of life.
My sympathy to you and Rosie for this sad experience.
I just called the vet and they said that the exam is $82 and putting her go sleep is $85. Im stuck on whether i should let her pass naturally or not, though. I just held her and she was able to move around however slower than when she was younger :/ i want to make the best decision for her, but my parents most likely will not want to waste time and money on her without a good reason

Old 05-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
SerpentLady4
You are lucky you had 20 years with her remember to cherish those years as good memories for you to look back on. I know the feeling last fall I had to put sleep my 6 year old striped butter corn (he was my first)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
daddio207
It's a hard decision to make. My feeling based on pass experience is that putting her to sleep is the right decision. I have had elderly snakes pass naturally also. I know reptiles feel pain. i also know that they have an ability to turn it off to a certain degree.
Sorry to say that It's your decision to make.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google