CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

New snake

Old 11-09-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
T.L.Moose
Question New snake

Have a few questions???
1. A friend gave me his corn snake that is about 4.5 years old, he was keeping it in a 20 gal tank and didn't have a heater and so on but it seemed to be ok. I reasearched every and when i got the snake earlier this week i wanted her to be comfortable. I added heat , bark and so on . Well i have tried feeding her twice and she want eat. it has been a couple of weeks since she has eaten due to shedding and and the mouse my friend put in there last week has attacked her back which somewhat looks swollen any surgestions on why she is not eating and if her back is ok...

Thanks,
Tim

Old 11-09-2002, 10:16 PM   #2
drizzt_19
hello

first question
how long have you had your new friend. it takes anywhere from three to seven days for a snake to get comfortable in their new surrondings.my guess as to why she is not eating is she hasnt adjusted to her new surrondings and that she is stressed out. she may also not want mice anymore because one of them attacked her. if her back appears to be swollen it may be infected. i would take her to a vet and have her checked out.also do your self a favor and buy a cornsnake manual by bill and kathy love. it will help yo out alot.

HTH
drizzt
by the way welcome to the forum

all of the above is my own opinion.

Old 11-09-2002, 10:35 PM   #3
T.L.Moose
Hey thanks,
i will contact the vet tomorrow, should we leave her completly alone or continue to pet her. I know it has been a change for her to go from no heat to heat but she seemd to be ok with being held what do you think?

thanks....

Old 11-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
drizzt_19
if you have only had her for a couple of days i would leave her alone completly. that means no petting, no checking under her hides for her,and not trying to feed her for a couple days. also i know it may be a little late but you should try to get her to eat frozen /thawed or pre killed food. then you dont have to worry about her being bit by her food.

HTH

drizzt

Old 11-24-2002, 10:48 PM   #5
gummo
Re: New snake

Quote:
Originally posted by T.L.Moose
Have a few questions???
1. A friend gave me his corn snake that is about 4.5 years old, he was keeping it in a 20 gal tank and didn't have a heater and so on but it seemed to be ok. I reasearched every and when i got the snake earlier this week i wanted her to be comfortable. I added heat , bark and so on . Well i have tried feeding her twice and she want eat. it has been a couple of weeks since she has eaten due to shedding and and the mouse my friend put in there last week has attacked her back which somewhat looks swollen any surgestions on why she is not eating and if her back is ok...

Thanks,
Tim
IM not sure if this is where i reply but i guess we'll give it a try!i think you should try feeding your snake frozen mice(de-thaw them in hot water)because if she didnt act fast enough with the live mouse you will be able to let her take her time with a frozen one.she might not be eating because she still needs to adapt to her new wonderful home.....give her time,everthing sounds like it'll be alright...i dont no about her back,sorry.

sincerly .ciala

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google