CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Tessera Club!! Post Yours Too!!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #41
zorro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickPyth7 View Post
I guess I haven't done much research on the Tessera Motley end of things. I didn't even know there was a Tessera Motley!

I have seen some beautiful Tesseras and Tessera Stripes but not the Motley. I'm understanding that if you breed a Tessera to a Stripe you can get Stripes out of them...correct?
No, you wouldn't get striped tesseras out of the F1's since stripe and motley are recessive. One of the pics I posted is of a striped tessera and you can see the lack of pattern on the sides.
John

Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #42
Christen
This is so not fair I want one so bad and this club is making it so much harder, looking at everyones pretty snakes. BTW I will be looking at the carmels.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
ecreipeoj
Quote:
I guess I haven't done much research on the Tessera Motley end of things. I didn't even know there was a Tessera Motley!

I have seen some beautiful Tesseras and Tessera Stripes but not the Motley. I'm understanding that if you breed a Tessera to a Stripe you can get Stripes out of them...correct?
I am willing to offer my opinions, but Tesseras are currently very new, and they were started by others, that know much more than I do about them. I have nearly a complete understanding of the current genetics of our Corns, but experience with a morph and seeing a bunch of hatchlings is very important when trying to understand how new morphs are inherited. Experience really helps to see things others might not pick up on. I have zero experience with Tessera.

Your question was already answered correctly. Tessera is located at a different locus than Motley and Striped. Adding Motley and/or Striped to Tessera is the same process as adding all of the other recessive morphs we have.

Since Tessera is dominant, Het Tessera produces the Tessera pheno. This is a new concept, but easy to understand. Adding the recessive genes that we already know about, is exactly the same as before. The only difference is you are building morphs like your breeding to a Caramel, on a Tessera pattern, rather than a Normal pattern. You will get about half Tesseras and half Normal pattern, het for Caramel. The only difference is the pattern.

Since Motley and Striped are alleles, breeding to either one, will possibly reveal if your Tessera is carrying the gene. If your Tessera is het Motley and you bred it to a Motley, 50% of your clutch will be Tessera and 50% of your clutch will be Motley, so you should produced Tessera Motleys in the clutch.

Personally, I can not identify a Tessera Striped or Tessera Motleys. I just don’t see it yet, but that is where experience will help.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #44
ecreipeoj
I received a message to further explain why a “Het” Tessera is a Tessera. I am looking forward to working with Tessera, but I still have some questions too, so I will explain some of my questions as I go. There is a lot of information already about Tessera on this forum if you do a search.

Tessera is the first obvious dominant pattern gene. I am lucky to have bred Salmon Boas and other Boas with dominant genes, so understanding how it is inherited is easy for me. Boas also have many recessive genes to mix with the dominant ones, so understanding how they mix has already been figured out and I have experience with them.

When we bred Tessera X Normal Pattern, we are actually breeding a Het Tessera X homo Normal, or Tess/N x N/N, The results are 50% Tesseras Tes/N (Het Tess) and 50% Normals N/N. We all want to know if there is a “Super” Tessera. Genetically, I don’t see how homo Tessera , Tes/Tes, will not be produced. It only takes one copy of the Tessera gene to make Tessera because it is dominant, instead of two copies like with recessive genes. Only one parent needs to carry the Tessera gene to make Tessera offspring. With recessive genes, both parents need to carry the gene to reproduce the morph.

Will there be visual differences between homo Tessera and het Tessera, that will give us the Super Morph? In boas, it can be obvious, or like with Salmon Boas, the two phenotypes are very similar and I can not tell them apart.

The questions I still have about Tessera with Motley and/or Striped in the mix, is the possibility of four different phenotypes. Het Tessera, homo Tessera, homo Tessera Motley and homo Tessera Striped. We could add homo Tessera Bloodred to the list. Since Tessera is dominant, testing for Motley will not be the same as testing for Motley like we have done before with Normal Pattern.

It is possible to breed Tessera het Motley X Motley and produce 50% Tessera looking pheno and 50% Motley looking phenos, with no Normals in the clutch. We would be expecting a half a clutch, or quarter to be Normal Phase. We may only get one Normal, or two, but maybe NONE, all of which would be confusing. What about Tessera Motley X Motley, or Tessera Motley X het Motley, if we don‘t already KNOW that the Tessera is in fact homo for Motley. Since we may not know what a Super Tessera looks like visual identification may be difficult.

Since Tessera and Motley phenos look similar, there could be some difficult identifying which is which. (It may be easier than I think, like I said, I have NO experience with Tessera ) Trying to identify Tessera, Tessera Motleys, Tessera Stripes, and possible Super Tesseras VISUALLY, is prone to the same misidentifications as with Striped Bloods. Testing Tesseras to be het or homo for Motley AND Striped will not be as easy as you may think.

Why is MY Tessera unlike the expected described phenotype? Is Aztec the culprit, or how will Borderless change Tesseras pattern, if at all? If recessive genes like Motley and Striped can change Tesseras pattern, then other genes that normally go UNNOTICED can as well. Tessera X Okeetee, Tessera X Aztec and Tessera X Borderless, may have different results. I still have a lot of questions about Tessera phenotypes when matched up to their genetic make up.

Tessera is dominant, that is all that I really care about at the moment and the cause of its popularity. It helps that they look GREAT and the gene is brand spanking new. How Motley, Striped and Diffused effect the Tessera Pattern will be very interesting to learn and prove out, but it is not what makes Tessera special. Tessera is special all by itself.

Mixing Tessera with all of our other Corn Snake genes is going to be the fun part for me and take me half the normal time to see my hard work pay off. For someone just getting into the hobby that wants to breed, Tessera would be my recommendation. I know they are more expensive, but seeing your hard work pay off in two years, and then big in four years, is definitely better than easily DOUBLE the time in the past. Most newer hobbyists just do not have that much dedication yet. With a Tessera, you can reproduce Tessera in two years and with the right secret plan, everybody has the chance to produced a new one of a kind Tessera Morph in four years that nobody else in the entire world has seen before.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #45
Lynnea
My '09 from Don, hets unknown...

Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #46
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnea View Post
My '09 from Don, hets unknown...
It looks to have dominant yellow, so I would go with a Caramel line and common combos like Butter, Amber or Goldust.

Since we have Tessera with hets, but they are unknown to us, part of the fun, will be figuring it out, with HUGE rewards.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #47
zorro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj View Post
Tessera is dominant, that is all that I really care about at the moment and the cause of its popularity. It helps that they look GREAT and the gene is brand spanking new. How Motley, Striped and Diffused effect the Tessera Pattern will be very interesting to learn and prove out, but it is not what makes Tessera special. Tessera is special all by itself.

I agree, just to let everyone know, there has not been a super form yet, but doesn't mean one might show up. Also in breedings of diffused to tessera, f1's do not show any of the diffused traits.
Here are some pics, the first I have already posted is a tessera het blood and my cayenne fire. The second is a striped tessera and the third and fourth are what Don (SMR) believes are motley tesseras because of the black borders on the motley pattern that you don't normally see on motleys but that do share the lack of pattern on the sides. Only the first pic is mine the last 3 are by permission from Don@ South Mountain Reptiles.
John

Striped Tessera

Motley Tessera

Motley Tessera

Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #48
SickPyth7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post
No, you wouldn't get striped tesseras out of the F1's since stripe and motley are recessive. One of the pics I posted is of a striped tessera and you can see the lack of pattern on the sides.
John
No I didn't mean Striped Tesseras....I meant Stripes and Tesseras in the same clutch.

Per Don S (SMR) website:

"In 2008, I bred a male phenotype to three normal-looking females, one being het for Stripe, and two normal corns, het for no known mutations. In the first brood were Tesseras, Okeetees, Stripes, and Motleys; but no Striped Motleys. In the next two broods from two sister Okeetees having no familial mutant relatives, roughly 50% of the progeny were Tesseras, and all others were Okeetees"

Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #49
SickPyth7
Quote:
No I didn't mean Striped Tesseras....I meant Stripes and Tesseras in the same clutch.

Per Don S (SMR) website:

"In 2008, I bred a male phenotype to three normal-looking females, one being het for Stripe, and two normal corns, het for no known mutations. In the first brood were Tesseras, Okeetees, Stripes, and Motleys; but no Striped Motleys. In the next two broods from two sister Okeetees having no familial mutant relatives, roughly 50% of the progeny were Tesseras, and all others were Okeetees"
And on that note...isn't it possible that Tessera could be related to Stripes and Motleys, but just on a different level? Simple because of what I just posted of Don's website.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #50
zorro
Quote:
And on that note...isn't it possible that Tessera could be related to Stripes and Motleys, but just on a different level? Simple because of what I just posted of Don's website.
I guess it's possible, talking to Don yesterday, he felt that some of the tesseras out there are het for stripe. I think there is still a lot of experimenting to do with the tesseras.
John

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google