CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #71
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
Hehe you nasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by kells View Post
Im co-habiting too, breeder who raised my girls have a group of corns housed together, 4 years old mother of my girls, two females one year old, and 4 young ones, she have baby ball python who often curls with her oldest corn, they doesnt seems to mind about each other, eat and grow ok, my girls are housed together so far, if i see that they dont eat or it seems that they have some problem, i will separate them. In Croatia, snake dont often co-habit, all species where kept on their own, but corn snakes are often kept together, females mainly.
Well well well since this thread started nearly a year ago, SnakeAround can no longer say that nothing has happened, as she had a death that a few of us feel was a direct result of co habbing. Then she showed some pics of her set up, and the vivs shown were large enough to house ONE animal comfortably.

Kells, I just don't know what to say. The breeder you got your animals from really is not a good keeper if she is keeping that many together in a cage, unless the cage she is using is as big as a bedroom. You say you are housing a snake and a ball python together, and that they seem fine. Since corn snakes and ball pythons come from different parts of the world, and require totally different temps and humidity, keeping them together means that one or both of your snakes are not having even their BASIC needs met. They should be seperated at once, keeping them in one cage is being cruel to one or both of them. Also, you say you see no problem with the snakes you keep together. Well that is wonderful, but in nature an animal that is sick or stressed often shows no signs because a sign of weakness means instant death. And stress is a silent killer. The enviroment your snakes are forced to live in is probably shortening their lives. They will most likely die much sooner than they should.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #72
starsevol
I reread Kells post and it seems I misread that part about the corn snake and the ball python living together. It is the BREEDER she got her animals from who does that. Obviously, that "breeder" does not know very much about snakes AT ALL and anyone wanting a snake as a pet should run away from that "breeder" as fast as they can.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #73
kells
I just told how her keeps her snakes, i dont know why should anybody answer in sarcastic way, i think that if someone have something to say it should write , but puting a smilie just to coment it look a bit imature

Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #74
MegF.
I woud have to agree with Bethany.....keeping any snakes together except for breeding purposes is not healthy for them...keeping completely different species together that require different things is even worse....I can see disaster in the future....Aside from the chance of the disease spread....indiscriminate breeding over and over again will kill a female off. I always give females at least 2 years off between breedings. Occasionally I've bred two years in a row, but never more than that, and only if the female recovered well.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #75
Christen
To be honest I don't see anything sarcastic about Starevols comment. She is right. Ball Pythons and corns require very different housing and if the "breeder" doesn't know this then I would have serious doubts about the breeder.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #76
starsevol
Quote:
I just told how her keeps her snakes, i dont know why should anybody answer in sarcastic way, i think that if someone have something to say it should write , but puting a smilie just to coment it look a bit imature
Actually Airenlow's smilie responce was trying to be nice compared to what he was really thinking I am sure.

Yes, you told us how she keeps her snakes. NO SNAKES should EVER be kept that way. It is a horrible way to keep snakes. And she is a breeder, someone who should KNOW better!!

If she really does keep her snakes that way, she should not be keeping snakes at all, nevermind breeding them!!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #77
kells
She put her ball sometimes with corns, i would do something like that with my snakes, my ball is in her own terrarium, in europe, it is custom to co-habits the corns, same sex pairs or group of females in large enclousure, other species are housed on their own, but corns are often co-habiting

Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #78
starsevol
Quote:
She put her ball sometimes with corns, i would do something like that with my snakes, my ball is in her own terrarium, in europe, it is custom to co-habits the corns, same sex pairs or group of females in large enclousure, other species are housed on their own, but corns are often co-habiting
It might be a custom, but it is a BAD custom.
But they are your snakes, you will do what you want.
But what you are doing is not good for them at all.
I feel really sad for them.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #79
kells
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Actually Airenlow's smilie responce was trying to be nice compared to what he was really thinking I am sure.

Yes, you told us how she keeps her snakes. NO SNAKES should EVER be kept that way. It is a horrible way to keep snakes. And she is a breeder, someone who should KNOW better!!

If she really does keep her snakes that way, she should not be keeping snakes at all, nevermind breeding them!!
she referd about that vivarium, as a experiment, she is a friend of a friend so i didnt bought them, my girls were gift to me

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #80
starsevol
Quote:
she referd about that vivarium, as a experiment, she is a friend of a friend so i didnt bought them, my girls were gift to me
Snakes are living breathing creatures that can feel stress and pain, she does not need to be playing scientist with them!!
But like I said, they are your snakes to harm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google