CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

:( no corn snake for me.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #11
Animal_gal
I have a story similar to princess. A few years ago I took fancy to snakes. My dad and I both have fairly serious allergies and neither of us could have any 'furry' pets, inside OR outside the house.

I started doing a little research and found myself attracted to snakes the most, and came across this forum. By learning everything I possibly could about the species, (which is great, because there's almost absolutely nothing bad or negative about corn snakes) I was able to convince my father that we need a new pet.

In desperation (I'm sure he was terrified of snakes though he would not admit it) he became convinced that we needed an iguana. (Spelling? Sorry, I'm really tired.) With the help of my friends on this forum, and only looking at the negative aspects of iguanas, I talked him out of it.

A few years later, here I am, the proud owner of a non-red-eyed, already-"trained", normal-colored-(that won't blend into the carpet if he escapes), gentle-as-can-be corn living in an impossible-to-escape-from-cage.

The thing that frightens people the most is the unknown. Keep researching, bringing out the good things and mentioning them to your wife. Show her just how much you want one. Promise to buy a snake lacking the things she most fears. (With my dad--size and red eyes.)

Don't give up. I know just how you feel.

I do think that buying a lizard of some sort may help. Show her just how gentle and loveable reptiles can be, keep persuading and researching, and you're well on your way to your very own corn.

Did I talk too much again?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #12
dionythicus
I was very lucky when I met my husband. I had put in the first line of my personals ad, "If you don't like tattoos and snakes, look away now!". He thought that was the coolest thing. He found a woman who came with accessories!

And just slightly

When I was in the 7th grade, my teacher had baby rats for sale for $2 and a permission slip from the parents. I knew the $2 would be easy, but I had to beg my mom to let me get one. She gave in, saying as long as she didn't have to look at it, touch it or know it was in the house. Alright! So that day after school I go in, get my baby rat (blonde with red eyes) then have to go to a music lesson across town. The rat's in a little Habitrail thing on the passenger seat when I go in for my lesson. 30 mins later when I come out, my mom has the rat out and the rat is crawling up her arm! She fell in love with that rat so fast!

However, she did draw the line at snakes and I only went against the grain after I already had two and moved back home as an adult.

Good luck convincing your wife. It'll all work out ok.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
dr.teeth
best plan is...charm her with those damned cute cresties..... thats how i got my girlfriend to eventually allow snakes in the house lol, then what you do is just keep buying more and put them in a rack eventually she wont even care if your getting more!!!hahahha

Old 08-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
tcr03
yeh we went today to look at some crested geckos. i even got to hold one. she was very cool with it. so its a go and we are getting one at the st. louis reptile show.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #15
~slither~
Woot! It'll be no time before you've got your snake

Old 08-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #16
DdotSpot
Yeah, I had the same experience with my mom while growing up...I ALWAYS begged her to let me get a snake or some kind of reptile. Everytime, I got a "NO flippin' WAY" response. Needless to say, I owned a lot of hamsters and fish growing up...

When I finally got out on my own, I was ecstatic to finally get one. So, my mom comes over to visit me with my little sister(who still lives at home) and she falls in LOVE with my snakes...go figure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google