CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Rosy Boa Pic

Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Roy Munson
Rosy Boa Pic

This is my Rosy Boa. I've had him for about sixteen years. For about fifteen and a half years, he was the mellowest snake I had ever encountered. I don't know what happened, but he has now developed a very "aggressive feeding response". Strikes at anything entering his tank (and sometimes at things just passing by). After he's had a little nibble on me, he realizes his mistake, and then he's ok. He had just shed a couple of days before this pic.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Bubbles
whow old snake looks nice though could it be something medically wrong with him causeing him to act the way he is?

Old 08-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
whow old snake looks nice though could it be something medically wrong with him causeing him to act the way he is?
Yeah, I think he looks nice too. To be honest with you, he seems healthier now than ever. His behavioral problems seemed to coincide with my moving to a new apartment. His viv is in a much better location now, one that provides him with a good amount of natural light (but not direct sunlight). He cruises the tank now like he never did before. I also thought he was looking a little skinny for a rosy, so I increased his feedings.

He's eaten live prey for nearly his whole life, but one of my theories on his behavior is that he may have been bitten by a mouse a few months back, and now he's not taking any chances. If anything near him moves, he attempts to immediately subdue it. I've got him on F/T now, and he appears to be mellowing, but I don't know if things will ever be the same again between us (ha ha).

Old 08-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
wikkedkornman
maybe he's just getting old and senile.

are rosy boas hard to take care of? i think they're beautiful snakes, and have thought about getting one, but i've heard that they're prone to respiratory infections, and things of that nature.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikkedkornman
maybe he's just getting old and senile.

are rosy boas hard to take care of? i think they're beautiful snakes, and have thought about getting one, but i've heard that they're prone to respiratory infections, and things of that nature.
I guess we both may be growing old and senile together.

He has been very easy to keep. He's never had a respiratory infection or any other health problem in sixteen years. I think it's very important to keep their viv's humidity as low as possible. I hate humidity myself, so he has probably benefited from my efforts to reduce it in my vivs -er- apartments. He's been a great garbage disposal snake too. I've given him hamsters, gerbils, young rats, and his usual mice. He never refuses a rodent, and he's never regurged. However, if you do some research, you may find that the rosys' gentleness may be somewhat overstated. I seriously considered buying a breeding pair this year, but I've gone a little corn crazy in '05, so I think I'm going to hold off on that.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
Roy Munson
One more pic of the old boy (he was easy to sex; he has spurs):

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google