CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

My Craigslist scores of the weekend! (snake and t-stat!)

Old 03-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
spyderk
My Craigslist scores of the weekend! (snake and t-stat!)

First, the non-living score. I found a listing for a redline herpstat 1, reptile basics IR thermometer, 2 ceramic water bowls, and a hemostat. All in excellent, barely used condition. The herpstat was still in the original packaging with manuals. $60!! I had to drive an hour and a half to get it, but I still saved a lot.

Then a few days ago I had sent my husband a CL link to a Red Tail Boa, which turns out to be a Columbian, not a true red tail. Anyway, I just sent it because it was a pretty animal. I know from him saying so that he would not want a big snake like that. Ever since I held a pretty big one last summer, he has known I admire them but respect his decision. He also sends me links to guns and bows and whatnot, so just sending a link isn't a request, you know?

Anyway, he asked if having a big snake like that would be an even better thing to bring to reptile events. I have only done 2, and I do have people ask to come here to see our animals, but I always said that when mine were bigger, I would start by letting local libraries or whatever know that I was available to do small presentations.

I told him that sure, having a bigger snake is always impressive. Then he told me to look into that snake. I did, but after quite a few emails she told me that someone else was interested and coming the next day. I told him this, and instead of him saying "oh well" like I expected, he told me to tell her that I'd come down that night to look it over and get it if it was healthy. She countered by asking for more money, but even so it was a good deal. I figured he'd say no, forget it. He said YES, pay the extra, go get that snake. I think she's the perfect one. So I didn't argue, and I got the snake! Before i did, I consulted with a few "boa people" that I have come to know online, which was great.

I named her Casey. I know she's a girl, but the name is from the NBC series, Chuck. John Casey is a big tough guy (who ends up having a soft side), and she'll be my only big and muscular snake so I thought it was a good fit. Casey's daughter is named Alex so my kids call her Alex Casey. We've only had her one day, but in the times we have held her, she is very docile and slow moving. She definitely has good muscle tone! I am not surprised, after holding a big one last summer.

She came with everything that the owner had, though now she's using the herpstat with a better heat pad that I already had. She also gave me over 100 mice, mostly adults and young adults, but with some hoppers mixed in. My other snakes will enjoy those!

My husband comes home from work on Tuesday, so we shall see what he thinks of HIS decision! Of course I am thrilled, but I never planned to ask to have a boa out of respect for him and the amount of snakes we already have and the size issue. But we do have the finances for it, we just bought a house with way more room, and he is pretty handy at building, so I can see a 4 ft cage in the future.

What a surprising weekend! Here are 2 pictures.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Buzzbee
Congratulations - so glad you and your husband both agreed on this beauty, sh's gorgeous
(and I love Chuck - Casey is hilarious!)

Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 AM   #3
spyderk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee View Post
Congratulations - so glad you and your husband both agreed on this beauty, sh's gorgeous
(and I love Chuck - Casey is hilarious!)
YES! Casey is awesome and hilarious. I watched when it was on, and we just wrapped up the entire show in the last 2 months.

I showed my husband other snakes and he was just adamant that he wanted me to have THIS one. This is the guy who doesn't like the size of adult corn snakes. I will save his texts as proof that I didn't twist his arm in any way, shape, or form!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
ZiggysMom
Congrats. Nice scores.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Schriztopher
Nice! Great looking boa

Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Tavia
Good looking boa and I love the name! Both my husband and I are Adam Baldwin fans.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
spyderk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Good looking boa and I love the name! Both my husband and I are Adam Baldwin fans.
I have to say, I am surprised that people know the name - that's awesome!

Thanks, all!

I am REALLY liking this Redline Herpstat vs. my Hydrofarms!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Amanda47
Glad you got it from Craigslist, so many boas getting dumped there. Nice lookin' snake too!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
HVani
She's beautiful ♥♥

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
TyeW
Great deal on the thermostat. Nice snake too

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google