CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Does anyone else hate Windows 8 as much as I do?

Old 03-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
Joba
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathylove View Post
I'm still using XP - at least, until April 8 when they stop support for it. I heard so many bad things about Win 8 that I just bought a little 11" Mac that I am still getting used to. I figured if I had to learn a new system anyway, why make it one that everyone seems to hate (Win 8)?
Kathy, switched to Mac six years ago and never looked back. Absolutely love it. Having to use Windows 8 at work last year only reinforced my hatred for using Windows. Hope it works out for you.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Nythain
I love me some Windows 8 super duper much. That is all.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
Nanci
I have the 13", which I didn't, at first, think I would like for photo editing, coming from a 17". I am very happy with it, though. Extremely. Best computer I ever had. I _just_ missed out on the lightning connection, for the new 27" monitor. That monitor is amazing! But, I don't have room for it.

One thing I have found works well for any computer question, be it Mac, PC, or iPhone/iPad, is if you have a question, just Google it. The answer is always there.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
dave partington
Windows 8 was developed for the touchscreen monitor. Windows 7 is for non-touch screen. The Pro version of either is better then the standard home versions.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Windows 8 was developed for the touchscreen monitor. Windows 7 is for non-touch screen. The Pro version of either is better then the standard home versions.
Oh, I've TOUCHED the screen all right, stopping myself from putting a fist through it!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
I love me some Windows 8 super duper much. That is all.
May I ask how much you are getting paid to say that?

Seriously, what do you like so much about it?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
Alicia P
We just got a new computer and it has windows 8. I really like it. It's easy to navigate, well I guess at first it wasn't. The search option in the app area is proving itself very handy and makes it so easy to find whatever can't be found. The start screen is completely customizable, which is great. The touch screen can be locked so the toddler can't send emails or buy stuff through the Amazon acct. If it matters we bought a touch screen desktop.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
Rich Z
A friend asked me to help her with her laptop because she was having problems. First time I've ever laid hands on a keyboard on a PC running Windows 8. Well, her problem turned out to be that the default printer designation was screwed up, but darn if I could find the hidden option to change the default permanently. So I showed her what she needed to do to change that option whenever she needed to print.

I'm sure it's just a learning curve thing, but darn, hasn't Microsoft figured out yet that people just aren't interested in becoming technical gurus just to USE their PC? Customers really shouldn't have to use a manual to do 90 percent of what they need to do with the merchandise you sold them.

My mom got a new laptop and she HATED Windows 8. She felt like it was fighting her with everything she wanted her computer to do for her. Finally, she got the store where she bought it from to wipe out 8 and put Win7 on it.

I guess trying to make PCs work like mobile devices seems like a good idea as a marketing strategy, and maybe it works well for those people who are very fluent with the handheld devices and perhaps satisfied with the services offered via such devices. But I want my computers to BE computers. And quite frankly, I just do not want to have to be cleaning off the screen of my PC every 10 minutes because of finger prints on my screen. Plus holding my arm up all day long to activate a touch screen would get real old in a real hurry.

But heck, the older I get the more old fashioned my opinions seem, I suppose.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #19
Alli_Draggy
I do think Win8 would be a lot more intuitive if you had a touch screen. I don't, so I had to figure out how to navigate it with a mouse. I also suspect that one reason I adjusted fairly quickly is that the main screen is a lot like the iPad, and I love my iPad.

If you go into the desktop view, there really isn't much difference between Win8 and Win7, so unless you reboot frequently you won't have to deal with it.

I will also say, the "always on" function on most newer programs in Win8, similar to on the iPad or mac came in handy. Apparently Asus shipped a bunch of computers with video cards that, after about 6 months, would start spontaneously overheating, which then led to the computer rebooting. With the Win8 and newer versions of software, inside those programs I usually didn't lose anything when it happened. That would NOT have been the case on XP. By the way, I don't suggest Asus for hardware-their tech support is less than helpful. We ended up buying a video card and replacing it ourselves, because their only suggestion was to ship the entire computer back, which would have cost more than a new video card, and would have left me without a computer for about a month. Not acceptable.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
Tavia
Actually, I agree with you Rich. That is my complaint with Windows 8, which might not bother me if I had used it on a touch screen device but my interactions with it were on a laptop. If I wanted to have the operating system of a tablet, I would buy a tablet but a laptop/desktop PC should darned well look like a laptop/desktop PC! And I do use a tablet a lot of the time, so I don't think I'm completely old fashioned.

I've heard that Windows 8.1 is much more to my taste and is supposed to be an easy upgrade but my husband, the computer guy, mucked around with my Grandma's laptop for about 4 hours trying to do the update but the computer was doing something he had never seen before and was refusing to accept any updates, he eventually got tired of messing with it and set it aside. Still hasn't gotten back to it, so I've still never seen Windows 8.1 and don't know if it really is better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google