CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

(CHIP help?)My hognose snake is going to die

Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 AM   #31
Spencer
CHIP, in the interest of keeping this forum topical, would it be possible to get your email address. I pm you But not sure if you check those. You seem to have more experience and it may be good to ask for advice pertaining to this specific situation in a context Where it is Not quite out of place.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #32
Nanci
It's perfectly fine to ask questions about other snake species, in this forum. To prevent confusion, I'm going to move this to General Chit Chat, which is where questions about non-cornsnakes technically belong. But questions like this, and the answers, benefit not only you, but everyone else who reads it, some of whom also are hognose keepers.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
But questions like this, and the answers, benefit not only you, but everyone else who reads it, some of whom also are hognose keepers.
Thanks for stating this.

I have not participated in this thread as I cannot add anything of use but I definitely have been following it. I keep hognoses in my collection and have no issues with them but I am storing this info in the back of my head for future reference if needed.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #34
Nanci
Every time I see a cute little hoggy baby at a show, or some _friend_ *cough cough* of mine REALLY wants to send me one, I think of the infamous hognose failure to feed threads, and I decide against it. It's good to have info stored away about other snake species for any number of reasons!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #35
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
CHIP, in the interest of keeping this forum topical, would it be possible to get your email address. I pm you But not sure if you check those. You seem to have more experience and it may be good to ask for advice pertaining to this specific situation in a context Where it is Not quite out of place.
You are welcome to my email address, but I check my PM's just as often. I don't have one from you, are you sure it wasn't a visitor message?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #36
Mari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Deli cups work sometimes, by all means give it a shot. What I do find with fasting hog babies is that sometimes they just CRAWL 24/7. If it's doing that, it can literally crawl through the pinkie until it's near liquefied. It can make for a pretty gross container in the morning, but I doubt that would put the snake off of wanting to eat later.
I'm glad it's not just me.... my 7.7 gram hog who only eats maybe a pinkie head once every month does this every night I offer food without fail. -sigh- And he's also only gained .7 grams since December....

Old 03-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #37
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Every time I see a cute little hoggy baby at a show, or some _friend_ *cough cough* of mine REALLY wants to send me one, I think of the infamous hognose failure to feed threads, and I decide against it. It's good to have info stored away about other snake species for any number of reasons!
You have to get one this year! HAVE to. It will be your favorite snake and you'll wonder why you never got one before. I'll make sure you get an eating machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I'm glad it's not just me.... my 7.7 gram hog who only eats maybe a pinkie head once every month does this every night I offer food without fail. -sigh- And he's also only gained .7 grams since December....
My average hog baby has gained roughly 15 grams in the last 90 days, just glancing at charts. Your lack of growth would concern me. I offer very small meals every three days, I find they eat when offered much, much better than on a corn snake type schedule of a large meal every 5 to 7. I never see a lump, and the snake always hunts after eating. Resist the urge to give them another. When I bump prey sizes to fuzzies is when I typically get fasting behavior, so I offer single large pinks until they hit about 50 grams. They will still eat the first fuzzy, they simply won't want another meal for a few weeks sometimes after it. I've got to be close to ten years working with them, and still figure something out that works for some of them each season. I think we are all still experimenting and learning with this species, but "keep 'em hot and feed 'em a lot," still holds true. "A lot" just refers to frequency, not meal size.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #38
Nanci
Mari has another baby who is very difficult to feed.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #39
Mari
I offer a pinkie head every 3 days at night, he very rarely takes it. His weight concerns me greatly, but he hasn't lost a single point of a gram.. just gained a tiny bit. I'm thinking of making him a new cage to see if that's negatively effecting his eating but he does occasionally eat. He has eaten unscented three times, all other successful feedings have been toad scented.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #40
Spencer
CHIP, Yea I looked and it doesn't look like I sent you anything. I think I sent it on my phone, and sometimes my mobile data is slow....so that could be it.
I wanted a king, originally, But there were a series of factors. The hog was cheaper, as well as one of the kings, when handled, snapped at the owner, and then I watched a snakebytestv video on YouTube that recommended the 5 best snakes to own, number 1 was a hognose... so I went with it. If this one doesn't make it, I don't think I'll be able to do hognose again.
Even when they tried feeding at the shop he didn't take other for a while, But eventually did so.I thought it would be fine. It has been getting warmer here in Japan. Maybe that has something to do with it. And he stopped taking food after I finished with my semi refrozen large pinks. And moved to the new ones. The old ones I didn't thaw by water Maybe That's it. Dunno.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google