• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new pet Lithobius forficatus

cornbreadandmilk

Non-registered User
So my fiance bought a versicolor (pinktoe tarrantula) the other day... makinG me very jealous.

Before I got into corns I was heavily involved with scorpions and t's

I had always wanted a centipede though so yesterday I found a stone centipede.

I think i may try collect a few,breeding them seems like a fun project.

lets see how big they get

its suppose to be 1" 3/4 I think.

stock photo attached.

Attachments

• 220px-Lithobius_forficatus.jpg
    220px-Lithobius_forficatus.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 69
You'd love the ones down here, or in GA! I've seen 3-4" centipedes here, and I _always_ think they're a skink, because they have that same blue color. In Georgia they are orange! So pretty. But I would never touch one...Strangely, I _love_ millipedes.

You'd love the ones down here, or in GA! I've seen 3-4" centipedes here, and I _always_ think they're a skink, because they have that same blue color. In Georgia they are orange! So pretty. But I would never touch one...Strangely, I _love_ millipedes.

That is so cool! I would love to collect one ! milipedes are indeed the best but the really big ones are hard to find that or its rare that they get full size

Man, we've got big orange (and rarely red) ones here too. I find lots more of them flipping logs for snakes than snakes. Sometimes HUGE too. Always thought about keeping one, but I killed the one I tried to keep as a kid, and would hate to repeat the failure. Of course, I didn't have the Internet or a pet shop when I was a kid so who knows... maybe one day. Let us know how it goes.

Man, we've got big orange (and rarely red) ones here too. I find lots more of them flipping logs for snakes than snakes. Sometimes HUGE too. Always thought about keeping one, but I killed the one I tried to keep as a kid, and would hate to repeat the failure. Of course, I didn't have the Internet or a pet shop when I was a kid so who knows... maybe one day. Let us know how it goes.

will do chip i need picks of these orange ones or a common name i am curious now

centipede%20johnston%20mill%20110307.JPG

From the Internet. I've seen them much more bright orange, and at least two that were deep red. Neat critters.

Neat. I've found a few centipedes around the yard, maybe maxing out at a couple of inches. Some have been a super bright reddish orange, but unfortunately I'm at all not sure of the species.

I found a truly Giant Millipede last spring, though. It could have easily stretched across my hand, if I had the gull to let it. I'd never seen anything quite like it. At first I mistook it for a fat Ringnecked Snake, it was so big. It had this black armor that shined almost dark blue, with deep colored maroon 'stripes' between each plate and bright red legs. One of my coolest finds of the year.

centipede%20johnston%20mill%20110307.JPG

From the Internet. I've seen them much more bright orange, and at least two that were deep red. Neat critters.

how big are you finding them chip? I believe that is a blind pede some species have no eyes.i found one today that i believe to be the same but its tiny. well width wise... alright its tiny period

The best place to look for millipedes is hardwood forest floor, after a rain. We get huge ones in Florida, all the time!

:eek1::eek1:OMG!! I can't even.... shivers. :eek1: I used to have a couple tarantulas, but scorpions and centipedes give me the worst case of "pee my pants" fright.
Now I know how a few of my friends feel when I post my snakes on my regular FB feed

Off topic, but the creepiest of crawlies I've come across are Helgramites. They live in rivers and streams, but dwell straight from the underworld. Like an aquatic centipede from hell. You'd have to pay me to grab one.

Also, neat that you can just handle the millipede like that. I don't know where I heard this myth, but I thought they produced some dangerous poison from their legs (arsenic or something). Either I'm completely wrong, or it just isn't harmful to people.

Back