CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Hiding too Much?

Old 03-27-2002, 08:50 PM   #1
sunglow
Hiding too Much?

Hi All,

The family is so excited to have found this site. We just purchased our 1st snake about 10 days ago. It's a beautiful 6 month old Sun Glow.

This is our 1st herp and we want to do the right things.

My question is about behavior. Our snake hides 95% of the time. Is this normal behavior? I notice that it's a bit more active at night. Is this snake mainly nocturnal?

We have taken the snake out of its tank several times. It has nipped at me twice - when I initially reached inside tank. However he seems to be quite tame when he is finally out of tank.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
Serpwidgets
Yep, you've described the typical hatchling. They are likely to strike, rattle, hiss, etc. to try to scare you off.

He should become less scared of you as he gets used to handling.

Corns are pretty much nocturnal, so that probably won't change as he gets older.

Old 03-28-2002, 01:00 AM   #3
Simon
Just some more side notes

Well everything you said are totally right and totally sounds normal to a hatchling.

Since this is your first herp, I would imagine that you would need as much advice from people as possible. But there is one book out there that will help most of your questions. It's called the "Corn Snake Manuel" by Bill and Kathy Loves. You can get the book from most of the pet shops out there or if you can't find it you can order it from their homepage which is:

http://www.corn-utopia.com

the most is an absolutly must have to keep a corn snake healthy.

Also I would say that you shouldn't be handling the hatchling too much right now. Let it settle down for a few days. Feed it and make sure that it's digested it completely. I personally would do this for at least 2-3 meals before I hand it. Also there is one important note. DO NOT Handle your snake after it eats for AT LEAST 48 hours. Or else there is a risk or it regurgitating (throwing up). Make sure the temp is around 80 to 85 during the day and night falls to 70 to 75. Keep the humidity around 30-50. During sheds make sure the humidty is around 50 to let your snake shed in full.

Be sure to come back to this forum when you have more problems. Most of the people here can help you answer your question very quickly.

Also try and find a vet that has experience dealing with snakes. Just in case any emergency happens.....

Hope that I helped....
Good luck and Happy Herping.

Old 03-29-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
CornsnakeKeeper
Buy "The Cornsnake Manual" by Bill and Kathy Love. Invaluable information in that little book. Sounds perfectly normal. Get him used to handling. Don't handle for 2 days after feeding though. Young ones will be kind of jumpy. Will calm with age. They are mostly nocturnal. In the evenings, if the light is off... that's when my corns are most active. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
SnakeLover#1
um

ummmmmmmmmmm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google