• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Thanks Mary (vanderkm). I hope you are right, and it's just swelling, or some other temporary condition.

Tracee said:
:( Your post made me so sad. I would be feeling exactly the same way, but at least you can be comforted in the knowledge Bill's in the best possible hands. How's he looking at the moment, if you can see him?

I'm at work, so I can't see him. I'll be going home soon. It's been almost 48 hours since his feeding and accident, so I may be able to give him a more intensive examination tonight. I'm kind of apprehensive though. Thanks for your concern.

I started this thread because I was freaking out, and I needed to tell someone who might care about the problem, and I really needed advice. I didn't expect all of these responses. You guys came through in a big way, and I really appreciate it. I do have this in proper perspective-- it's a small snake, not a sick child, or a looming lay-off, or a flooded home. It's a minor thing-- so minor, in fact, that if I lose him it won't even affect my corn breeding plans. But I like Bill, and he's important to me, and you guys understood that, and you honestly made me feel a lot better. Thanks again.

Update:
I took his tub out when I got home tonight. His condition doesn't appear to have changed, except that the lump from his last meal is hardly apparent, so he seems to be digesting. I jiggled the hide he was resting on, to get him to move, and he started crawling around. His eyes are clear, and his pupils contracted when I pointed a flashlight at him, and dilated when I turned it away. There is no bruising, shape deformation of the skull, or sign of spinal kinking. But he's still carrying his head and immediate neck at an angle. It looked to me as if he couldn't move his head to the right, or level it.

I'm still hoping it's some kind of muscle strain, and not vertebral or neurological damage, but it very well could be. Since he seems to be digesting, I'll stick with my original plan, and monitor him until I attempt to feed him in a couple of weeks. I honestly don't expect his condition to deteriorate by then, but the feeding will be the real test of his viability. I doubt I'll know much until then, unless he recovers full movement prior. I'm hoping this is the case...

If only these guys could talk.... at least you would have known for sure about any pain felt. But, I suppose him moving around and being alert is a very good indicator too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for Bill!

I just read this, I'm so sorry to hear of yours and Bill's ordeal . . . And yes, we do understand that while an injured snake isn't the end of the world, it is a big deal in a snake owner's life. But do not beat yourself up over it, it was an accident. These things do happen, and you are doing everything you can for him, that's what is important now.

I have a little story to share too . . . one night I was watching TV and holding Rhiannon, (a decent sized 04 - not a tiny hatchling), and she was in the sleeve of my sweatshirt as far as I knew, but I looked down just in time to see her tail disappear into the corner of my couch. Now, that would be scary enough, but my couch has recliners, and all sorts of metal stuff inside. After the kids and I determined that she could not be found without opening up the couch, we eased open the recliner - only to find she was all twisted around the metal mechanism inside, and if we opened it further she would be pinched in it! OMG!!! :eek1: I somehow managed to stick my hand in without opening it further and I swear it took me a good 20 minutes to ease her out of there, while holding the footrest as still as possible. That was almost a disaster . . . And to this day my kids tease me about not watching TV and holding a snake! But really, I was totally freaked about it, so I can really understand how you feel.

I'm glad to hear that Bill seems to be doing okay, hopefully with a little TLC he will fully recover. Keep us updated on the lil guy, we're all pulling for him!

Thanks, I usually click the unread thread box, and it apparently skipped right over the update.:shrugs:
I am glad he seems to be okay for now. Pretty soon his dilema will be bigger than the Biggest Thread Ever, lol. With all the positive thoughts going his direction, he has to do alright ;).

Dean...I was wondering if it might be possible that he has some "dislocated" vertebrae. It may be worth a trip to the vet to get his opinion. Or maybe you could post some pictures here. Some of us may be able to give you a bit more info by looking at some pics.

CornCrazy said:
Dean...I was wondering if it might be possible that he has some "dislocated" vertebrae. It may be worth a trip to the vet to get his opinion. Or maybe you could post some pictures here. Some of us may be able to give you a bit more info by looking at some pics.

It's definitely possible. Even if the lid pressure didn't do any damage, the thrashing that he did during the event could have done real injury. I don't want to disturb him again tonight. It's only been about 50 hours since he ate a very large pink. I'll take some pics tomorrow, if I can. Then maybe you can help me determine if a vet visit is in order. Thanks Terri.

Dean - I'm truly sorry that something like that should happen to someone who obviously loves his snakes so much. I can relate. At the Living Lab (An awesome program we have at my school - volunteers like myself take care of a number of different reptiles after school) we got a semi-adult corn, beautiful snake. I loved him instantly, and because of his red, orange and yellow colours I named him Pyro :p. I set up his tank with care, but unfortunately and to my complete shame, with all the other animals in the Lab that needed taking care of, I forgot to fill his water dish. The next day when I checked up on him, he had died of dehydration. While the teacher co-ordinator of the program assured me that one night without water would not usually kill a snake, and that it must have been without water for a while before he came to our Lab, I was devestated. To think that a careless error on my part took the life of such a beautiful creature made me feel absolutly horrible. It took me a while and many kind words from friends before I was comfortable and confident enough to come back to the Living Lab. Fortunately, that experience taught me to be much more careful, and didn't discourage me from getting a snake of my own. I hope that Bill will recover fully, and that you will be at ease knowing that, as many people have already told you, these things can happen to anyone.
Keep smiling :)

Wow I juat read this thread...I'm sorry about the accident. I hope Bill gets better.I think if he ends up with a funky head stance but nothing else wrong it'll give him personality.
I've caught a tail in a lid by mistake, I know how awful I would feel in your shoes.
Oh yeah and I had my foot run over by a honda civic once but walked away (thanks to steel toed boots) with nothing sore but my feelings at the driver.
I'm glad you are getting so much support here! and only one Negative Nellie in the bunch.

ultimuttone said:
I am glad he seems to be okay for now. Pretty soon his dilema will be bigger than the Biggest Thread Ever, lol.

LOL, I was just saying this while opening the thread. :grin01:

I too just read the thread and empathize with you deeply. A couple months back, I found one of my 05 butters with his neck pinched between the glass of the viv and a plexiglass divider I hadn't sealed properly. The snake was limp and I thought he had been a goner since I hadn't checked them since I fed them (2 days).

I was opening the viv preparing to remove the "dead" snake when he began moving. I was stunned since his neck seemed completely pinched. I was hopeful since he was at least alive, but then worried about the damage. Well, after I freed him, and observed him for a while, he looked a little like Bill sounds. I left him be with light supervision, and as luck would have it, he turned out with no residual effects. So when folks here talk about how durable these guys really are, I now know it for a fact. Good luck to you and Bill!

I hope things turn out fine for you Dean. These guys are remarkably resilient and seem to come thru some of the worst stuff without a hitch. It's too bad you aren't closer. I could sneak him into work and x-ray him like I did Minuet. We've all made errors and frankly, I think of my corns like my kids and would feel horrible if something happened. I too accidently taped my Green Tree python to her perch although due to daily checks I found her early in the morning. I thought I was the biggest idiot on the planet and couldn't understand how I could have done something so stupid. A little olive oil and a couple of hours and the tape was off. She's no worse for wear. I'm betting on Bill coming out of this fine.

Dean, I am so sorry about Bill. These little guys definately are resilient little things I hope that he pulls through. Good sign that hes digesting, but definately keep an eye on him and keep us updated. Something like this is what I am afraid of doing in the one moment of distraction. But it happens to the best of us, good luck with him.

Awwww *hugs Dean* don't beat yourself up hun, we all make little mistakes like this. I shut poor Hunter's tail in the lid of his ziploc feeding tub, it was kinked for 3 or 4 days and I was SO worried about him! I also had one of those glue on thermomiters on the inside of his tank and he managed to glue himself to it and the stress caused a regurge ~,~ I still feel sooo bad for both occurrences.

I think most of us worry about the snakes more than we need to, for instance we know they do fine without food for a good period of time, but if the refuse one meal.. how many of us worry about them? *raises hand*

We all know how well you care for your snakes, and we all know that you will do everything you can for Bill. The fact that hes moving normally, digesting, and sounds like hes as active as any normal corn should be good news =) Brain damage usually causes some outward signs, and so does broken vertebrae (I know that for a fact.. I got run over by a car, my spine slammed into the edge of the curb and CRUNCH broken vertebrae! 4 years later and I still have adverse effects from it).

I hope hes fine hun, and you too... don't worry yourself too much. *more hugs*

I'm pulling for you and Bill!

Here's my sad little story to ad...When we were trading babies with a friend, we were all so excited about looking at all of the babies in their plastic tubs, opening and closing lids multiple times to pick out which ones we wanted. I never realised until we got home that one of the babies had gotten its tail smashed between the lid and the tub when the lid was closed. It was really bad. The tail was flat, skin was broken and you could see the tiny little bones. It has since healed; the very end died and fell off within two sheds and now there's a kink with almost an inch of hardened tail that works as a great rattle! He still gets freaked out when you open the lid and take him out, but he settles down.

I call it operator error when I make a mistake like that. I hope Bill will be alright. I know of a grown corn with a healed broken back who eats like a champ and does just fine.

Hang in there!

Well, I'm glad this thread has turned into more than a pity party for me. There are some instructive stories in this thread, and I've learned a lot from them myself. The incident hasn't done much for my paranoia. You should see me racking a tub now. I do a septuple check before snapping the lid, and it takes me 45 seconds to slide the tub in as I monitor the snake's position the entire time. :rolleyes:

I was going to post pics of Bill here tonight, but I decided that I'm going to leave him alone for a couple of nights. I really don't want to exacerbate his injury by prompting him to move around. He is resting in a normal corn posture at the moment.

Roy Munson said:
The incident hasn't done much for my paranoia. You should see me racking a tub now.

I thought you were going to say "trying to pull up my zipper now.

Sorry Dean, Just thought you need a smile by now.

Ok, flame on.

Lennycorn said:
I thought you were going to say "trying to pull up my zipper now.

Sorry Dean, Just thought you need a smile by now.

Ok, flame on.

:roflmao: You insensitive cad! No seriously, that was funny, and I always need that. I've worn sweatpants since the accident. :grin01:

Back