CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Transition to fuzzies.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
erisan
Transition to fuzzies.

My snake is about 11 months old and I want to switch him to fuzzies. I'm wondering if I can just feed him 2 pinkies next feeding (saturday) and then transition him to fuzzies right after that. Is it safe to transition him that fast? I've been giving him 1 pinky every 7 days. What does everyone think? Can I transition him that fast ( going from eating 1 pinky a week- 2 pinkies one time- 1 fuzzy a week from then on until next transition) or will he regurge? I know he can get a fuzzy down because of the 1.5 x girth rule so I think he's ready. Here's a pic for reference:

Old 05-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Lennycorn
I usually double up on a food item for three feeding just to let the snake get use to a larger meal. Your on the right track you go with that.

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
erisan
Thank you for the information I can't wait to start feeding him fuzzies!!!!!

Old 05-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
CMatt2157
Erisan, I'm kinda in the same situation as you. My corn is able to handle fuzzies but pretty soon I will be moving up. I think I might get 2 smaller fuzzies for maybe 2-3 feedings and then transition over to the next size up. If you do this soon, let me know how your snake handled it. Thanks

Old 05-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
BeckyG
I just switched my amel to fuzzies. I didn't double up pinkies before switching him. I compared the size pinkies he was eating with the size of the smallest fuzzy, and there wasnt' that much difference. Two of the pinkies would have been way bigger than the fuzzy, so I didn't double him up.

Just so you know, be prepared for a possible growth spurt when you switch to fuzzies. My snow grew 5 inches in 2 months when I moved her up.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
erisan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt2157
Erisan, I'm kinda in the same situation as you. My corn is able to handle fuzzies but pretty soon I will be moving up. I think I might get 2 smaller fuzzies for maybe 2-3 feedings and then transition over to the next size up. If you do this soon, let me know how your snake handled it. Thanks

Sure thing.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
erisan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyG
I just switched my amel to fuzzies. I didn't double up pinkies before switching him. I compared the size pinkies he was eating with the size of the smallest fuzzy, and there wasnt' that much difference. Two of the pinkies would have been way bigger than the fuzzy, so I didn't double him up.

Just so you know, be prepared for a possible growth spurt when you switch to fuzzies. My snow grew 5 inches in 2 months when I moved her up.
Thanks, I think I'll try 2 pinkies once and if there's no problems then I'll move him to fuzzies.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
Muggle
Becky, I did this too with Nagini. He took his first fuzzie last week. The pinkies at the pet store very a lot in size. There isn't that much difference between a big pinkie and a small fuzzie. I never doubled up with him. Same with Candice when she moved to hoppers from fuzzies. I would have double up if the store didn't have the appropriate sizes.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
Savvy19
I would also suggest the double pinky method. That's how I did it with my little guy, and he's taking the fuzzy's like a champ. The only thing I did different was I fed him for about a month on 2 pinkies every 4-5 days, until they stopped making a buldge in him, so I knew he had grown enough to safely take a fuzzy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google