CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heating plastic rubs/tubs - Cause for concern ??

Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
Zincubus
Heating plastic rubs/tubs - Cause for concern ??

Soooooo

I've heard on the grapevine that there may be cause for concern as regards the heating of plastic rub/rubs wether it's UTH or heat /ceramic bulbs!?!?!

The suggestion is ....

Plastic when heated to a certain level will always release VOC which have apparently been linked with Respiratory Tract Infections ( more commonly known as RI ) in snakes and other reptiles ..

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are extremely hazardous. The EPA explains VOCs, and the dangers they pose to our health. According to the EPA, VOCs cause eye, nose and throat irritation, frequent headaches, nausea, and can also damage the liver, kidney and central nervous system .

Any thoughts , ideas , concerns or information on this topic ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
DeuceRon
Wow, that's a huge concern for sure. Personally, I don't use plastic tubs, so it doesn't pertain to my situation.
I wonder though if others are aware that they may be doing harm to their snakes? Could there be certain tubs that are made which do not release any VOC's and are 'snake safe'?

Great post!

Old 01-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceRon View Post
Wow, that's a huge concern for sure. Personally, I don't use plastic tubs, so it doesn't pertain to my situation.
I wonder though if others are aware that they may be doing harm to their snakes? Could there be certain tubs that are made which do not release any VOC's and are 'snake safe'?

Great post!

The study and research is ongoing but the guy raising the alarm is a biochemist working for Arcadia !!

The general consensus from tub users on other forums is that it's all a load of nonsense ...

Can't see why a scientist who works for a company who manufacture heaters and bulbs would be creating a fuss about nothing , though ..

All mine have always been kept in vivs sooooooo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Zincubus
Just wondering if the doubting rub users are simply in denial or maybe they've can't afford to change or even don't want it to be true ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
DeuceRon
Very interesting points indeed..

Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
MysticExotics
I use ambient heat, so I don't have direct heat on mine.
But I also know several people who used flexwatt style heat with bins for many years and have no problems.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google