• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Breeding without brumation...

I have produced eggs both brumating and not brumating. My largest clutch was non brumated (30 eggs total, 26 of them good, 4 slugs).
None of my females eat anything bigger than Jumbo adult mice, and that is for the ones 450-500grams and up.
The reason I haven't brumated the past few years, is lack of having a place to brumate them.
Even now, in the house that I bought a year ago, is smaller than I was looking for, but it was the only one at the time in decent shape.
Yes, the break is nice, but it's never a full break for me, due to having babies and other species that don't brumate.

Can you please tell me all of the steps of breeding them without brumation? That would be verrrrry helpful. I cant find any step by step websites either that tell you how tobreed corns without brumation.

Can you please tell me all of the steps of breeding them without brumation? That would be verrrrry helpful. I cant find any step by step websites either that tell you how tobreed corns without brumation.

Nanci posted this earlier in the thread....
They shed year 'round whether brumated or not, but I've noticed in my collection that the adults end up shedding about four times a year, and generally, although not on the exact same day, within several weeks of each other. The first shed of the new year is in February, for mine.

If you don't know when to start, a rule of thumb that has worked for me is, beginning with the female's first shed in the new year, put the snakes together every Sunday until they start to breed. That trickled down to me from Don Soderberg. I also only leave them together for 10-15 minutes, max of 60 before deciding they aren't ready yet.

So in the new year,once the they shed you put them together every sunday until you see them breed.i am assuming that I have to witness it 3 or 4 times to make sure.then I wait for the caution shed that tells me to put the lay box in and then I get the eggs in the incubator.

I bred one pair of corns this year without brumating and she laid 26 eggs, 25 fertile and one slug. I started pairing them together about once a week near the beginning of January but didn't observe any confirmed lockups until 2/5 and on 2/12, with no interest the next time they were paired after that, so I stopped pairing them up. She laid her eggs on 4/11 and they hatched on 6/11.

I didn't do anything special for them, other than to feed the female a bit more frequently than usual starting a month or so before pairing them and after the witnessed lockups, I injected her mouse with a mix of reptile vitamins and calcium once a month until a month or two after she'd laid her eggs, which doesn't seem to be a totally necessary thing but I'd heard another breeder does that and hasn't had any egg binding since they started doing that.

At a minimum, 300 grams, 3 feet, and 3 years old for females. Waiting until they're larger/older than that won't hurt though. Makes can be bred younger and smaller.

I have 3 corn snakes an it bought them at an expo. I bought 1 male and 2 females. I tried popping them and I am starting to think that my male is a female. Is there another easy way to tell? They are all babies still.

I have 3 corn snakes an it bought them at an expo. I bought 1 male and 2 females. I tried popping them and I am starting to think that my male is a female. Is there another easy way to tell? They are all babies still.

How old are they? Popping is only recommended on hatchlings. Once they start putting on some size, it's not effective, because they develop more muscles and can tense up so you cannot get an accurate look.
Probing is best for older Corns.

Can someone please tell me what kind of incubator I should use for corn snakes? And also how to set it up.

You can buy one or make one out of a non working small fridge or wine cooler. There's also the Igloo cooler method (water in the bottom with an aquarium heater, thermostat, and set the egg box on something solid thatsits above the water.)
I incubate at room temps (80-82) because I keep my snake room is that temp.
One year I did use the Igloo incubator, and it worked ok.

If you click on the blue button in the left corner that says "post reply", then below the text box is a section that says "additional options", then "manage uploads", then you can upload up to five photos from your computer.

Is a havobator fine to use? Also, I have a baby corn that won't eat. I have had to force feed her. How do I get her to eat? I have tried lots of times in different ways such as tuna, putting her in a deli cup/bag and just force feeding her. How do I get her to feed on her own.

Is a havobator fine to use? Also, I have a baby corn that won't eat. I have had to force feed her. How do I get her to eat? I have tried lots of times in different ways such as tuna, putting her in a deli cup/bag and just force feeding her. How do I get her to feed on her own.

Tuna? I would recommend you take your snake to a vet.

It would be best if you started a new thread on this, so people can help.
When you do, how often are you offering food? What all have you tried?
How long have you had her? Did you give her a week to settle in when you first got her?

Back