CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Accurite thermometer "Hack".

Old 08-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
jake95
Accurite thermometer "Hack".

Hey guys, figured id do a little write up here, I see everyone seems to use these Accurite thermometers, so I picked a few up myself, however I don't like having to drill a large hole for the probe head, and having to fill in the large hole around the tiny probe wire to avoid escapes from small snakes, crickets, ect, here is a simple way to avoid that.

First off, you want to start by removing the back section of the case, this simply involves removing the 4 screws, 2 are located in the top corners, while the other 2 can be accessed by removing the battery cover, and removing the "AA" battery.

[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e32
/snowmizer64/DSCN3337_zpsddqulgzj.jpg[/IMG]

Once you remove the screws, you need to separate the back half like so,

The 2 black wires are the probe wire, you need to un-solder those 2 contacts, *BE SURE TO REMEMBER WHICH WIRE GOES TO WHICH CONTACT*

Un-soldered,

Now, you drill a small hole in your enclosure, route your probe wire through, then re-solder your probe wire back to the 2 contacts,

Re-soldered,

That's it! The entire process takes no more than 5 minutes. The longest part is waiting for the soldering iron to heat up! Yes, the thermometer is now attached to the enclosure, you will need to un-solder the probe wire if you wish to take it out of the tank. But the probe wire is extremely long, and I don't think many people will be moving their tanks around, so I don't see it being a big issue. Hopes this helps someone out!

Good as new!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
BeauBoi
Thanks for this guide! Very handy!
~Beau

Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
HerpsOfNM
interesting idea....

Another option over possibly messing up on the soldering would be using a cord strain relief bushing (aka heyco bushing)....

http://diy.stackexchange.com/questio...out-breaking-t

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/5954.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google