CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

First ever breeding attempt!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #21
bitsy
Quote:
With all of my babies, I'm going to make sure they have at least 2 meals and a shed before I give them up.
The routine for hatchlings is that you don't feed them before they shed. That usually happens about a week after hatching and you can feed for the first time immediately afterwards. I have mine take three defrost feeds in a row before I sell. If there are any refusals, then the count goes back to zero and I start again.

Quote:
Also, how do I go about getting certified to ship? Is it hard? Does it cost money?
Only FedEx ship reptiles in the US and from other posts, it looks like it can be a pain to get registered. It seems to depend on your local company rep and how cooperative they are. If you do a search, you should find some detailed instructions.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
SteelJawEmily
Great! Thanks!

Here is another pic of the new female....who I've now named Onyx.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
SteelJawEmily
Update time! So either Saraphine is ovulating again or she is in fact gravid. It's hard to tell, because I have never actually seen a lock between her and Donatello. BUT she is sure touchy when I handle her, and she normally isn't. She shed a few days ago, so I was hoping that meant she was getting ready to lay some eggs for me! But she did eat tonight so my hopes are down a little bit. We'll see!

Anyway, here are some pictures of the set up that I've come up with. I'm testing out the temps and the humidity for the incubator right now.

Enjoy!

At first sight of her being in shed, I put in her lay box.

Which Donatello likes to hog....lol

The incubator...a large Styrofoam box I was able to get from work...that was used to ship fish, so it was perfect! Then a spinich container Heather gave me (Thanks again!), and a heating pad underneath that's connected to a temp control box (the actual name for which I cannot remember for the life of me....lol) and set for 82 degrees. Testing it out right now, because my house has a tendency to get really warm during these nice sunny days we've been getting lately.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #24
Shiari
If she's just shed and is touchy, it's time to separate them. She is just going to get stressed out by having a male in her lay box.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #25
SteelJawEmily
Yea, I took him out tonight and fed them both. She's not fat, just "puffy". From what I've heard, that could mean shes just Ovulating again? I'm not going to put Donatello back in until Thursday or Friday....or should I wait longer?

If she is just Ovulating I don't want to miss it, but if shes not and IS gravid....I don't want to stress her out either. lol Oh what to do, what to do.....lol

Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
SteelJawEmily
So, Saraphine is back with Heather.

After two weeks of holding my breath, she ate again....so I'm sure she's not gravid. I took Donatello to get probed, but of course he wouldn't open up, so he must be in his pre-blue state.

So...at this point, I'm going to pair him with my female that I have, Onyx, and hope that he is a male. After he sheds, I'll take him to get probed again, and hopefully that will give us a for sure answer that he is indeed a male.

At least now I'm prepared. :P

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
SteelJawEmily
I am addicted....its true. lol

Help?

So I went to the Reptile Expo over here and ended up coming home with something. At least just one thing, there were several other things I wanted to come home with though....many of which were Carpets. Lance you devil! lol

I went not really looking very hard for anything, but figured if I ran across an adult proven male corn that was in my budget, I'd jump on it. I'm not really breeding for the money, or the color...just the experience. I came across this guy. He is super sweet and shy...it's adorable. He will be my boy to take over for Donatello, seeing as either D is a female (looking more and more like this unfortunately), or just very shy. I normally don't like orange, in anything....but this guy was just so nice I had to. I especially like the "frosting" he has in some places.

Introducing (and yes he'll have his own thread full of pictures, after he settles in...seeing as we all love those ) Michelangelo! The 2001 Amelanistic Motley.

Checking out his new home

Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
Optreptiles
How exciting! I've just started introducing my two corns for the first time as well! I have a question though, that is somewhat off topic. After a pair has copulated, do you try to get them to copulate again? If so why? I am guessing that this is to make sure there is enough sperm to fertilize all of the eggs?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
Cocoa3Ghost
Yes try and pair them about 5 times to ensure! It can get exhausting but theres better chances .

Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
SteelJawEmily
Yea, all the research I found said you can pair them all the way up until the female goes into shed....then take him out. Don't co-habitate that entire time, but choose specific times when you know you'll be home to put them together, so you can keep an eye on them. If either one of them goes into shed at all though you'll want to keep them away from each other, just because shedding can be stressful for them anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google