CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

First ever breeding attempt!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #51
Naagas
Yup- the one time I had an unexpected clutch she laid in the water bowl. Learned my lesson. All females who have been with a male get a lay box and a small water bowl. And if any of the girls who haven't been with a male get antsy behavior, they get a lay box too.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #52
endrin
Good luck man, If you plan on leaving them in over night together you might want to get a plastic box for just that purpous with only paper towels as substrate so you can see signs of positive lockups

Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #53
SteelJawEmily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Those are beautiful eggs! Don't go crazy trying to rehydrate them- just normal damp wrung out moss should do fine. You are so lucky she didn't lay in the water bowl...
Yea, her water bowl was just a little tiny one. Not even one egg would have fit in there.

I'm going to be taking the incubator to my boyfriends house tonight because the temps in my house fluctuate too much. He has a "Pet Room" the he keeps at a constant 82 so that will work perfectly. Plus it'll keep me from wanting to check on them all the time.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #54
SteelJawEmily
Well, all but two of the eggs are doing fine. One seems to be completely bad, while the other seems to have some veins in there but is wilting away and looks nasty. I've left both in there and have just been very good about wiping off the mold every day. All the other eggs have nice healthy veins in them and seem to be growing.

On another note, two things have happened to me this week that have made me question my snake keeping skills.

Onyx, the mother of aforementioned eggs had lungworm and some other kind of bacteria (still waiting on the culture). So she is now under strict quarantine and is to be given meds weekly, and a soapy bath every day. She is very weak and lethargic still, but the vet said she responded well to the meds he gave her. She is due to go back for another round of Ivormectin in two weeks.

Then, when I was taking out everyones water dishes and cleaning them, I noticed Donatello's cage was unnaturally quiet. Usually when I open up the cage she comes out to investigate....this time, nothing. So I dug around in her cage and looked in all her hides.......she has escaped.

So needless to say, I freaked out. Luckily there weren't any obvious signs that my cat got to her, but I live in a parked Camper Trailer (the kind that is semi-permanent so it has regular sized appliances but still teeny tiny), and it's kind of falling apart. I tore up the house looking for her, looked inside EVERYTHING, including my chair, my futon, and my bed....but nothing. Michelangelo seems on edge too, so that points to even more of a sign that she is in here somewhere.

So now I have a bait mouse sitting by one of the air vents in hopes of attracting her to come out.

She was my very first snake, so needless to say....I'm very very upset about it.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
Pugsley
Oh Emily, I'm so sorry! Best of luck in finding her.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #56
SteelJawEmily
Donatello is back! My landlord found her while mowing the lawn. She was crawling her way across the driveway, belly full of something.

Other than a small bite wound on her neck (assuming from whatever she ate) she seems to be fine. The bite wound looks clean and superficial, nothing I'm too concerned about. But I'm going to get some Betadine tomorrow and put some of that on it, just in case.

Whatever she ate was huge! I'm so happy she's back!

Pictures coming soon.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #57
Pugsley
That is a big relieve, knowing she is back and safe. Very nice of the landlord too!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #58
Kate
I'm so glad you found her!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #59
screamindemon17
Im glad you found don. Hope all is better with onyx . How many days tell the eggs hatch.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #60
Nanci
Wow- so lucky!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google