CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

1st time snake owner. First attempt at DIy

Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
alxx11uml
1st time snake owner. First attempt at DIy

hi, i was given a 60 gallon breeder which previously housed a Tegu and then a Bearded dragon. i recently purchased a snow corn and i would like to use this tank for future snakes. however my concerns lie in properly cleaning the tank as to avoid any cross contamination of sorts and i would like to try and divide this tank for 2 or more corns or maybe a milksnake and ball python. basically i would like to house more than one snake in it as it is a beautiful tank. I NEED and would greatly appreciate any information that can be given in terms of dividing it first off, the best(relatively "fool proof", i would hate to ruin this tank) materials. the easiest most efficient process and whether or not the divider should be clear or not... I basically need to know everything LOL....any concerns i should have......I WANT TO KNOW EVERyTHING.....Thanks

Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Soulwind
Well, cleaning wise - a solution of bleach and water. Give it a good scrubbing, then let it sit wet for a few minutes, then give it multiple clean water washdowns. Sun-drying will finish it up. That will pretty much kill almost any contaminations/parasites.

First off, I would re-think different species in the same tank (divided or not). The housing requirements are often different enough (temp, humidity, etc) to make it problematic.

Now, as far as seperating the tank goes, the accepted solution around here seems to be a sheet of plexi-glass that just fits within the tank. ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP! You'd be amazed how easily they can get through gaps at the top if it's not tall enough. Then use some of the silicone aquarium sealant goo along the edges to bond the plexi to the glass.

I don't really know about clear or not, but I would think the snakes would probably prefer to not be able to see each other . . .

Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
alxx11uml
thanks a lot i didn't even think of the different housing requirements until after i posted, so i will definitely stick to one species..i think i would agree about the snakes not seeing each other. so what can i do about coloring the plexiglas or something to make it opaque....and an specific product names would help, i don't like to do mickey mouse jobs, i need this to be the best possible

Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
SteveP
Because any plastic material (ie plexi, lexan, that sort) will turn opaque if you remove the surface oils. Using something like a good parts wash will remove the oils and thus make it very hazy. Or you could just use a dark tinting film (available wherever you purchase the plexi) on each side. And there you have it. There is also a product called delrin that is white, I've seen it at Lowes and Home Depot in 1/4" thickness. Its just like plexi only white. I've also seen pre tinted plexi but what I've seen is not really dark enough in my opinion.

Steve

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google