CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Corn Snakes Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snakes Wanted Looking for something special and you don't know who has it for sale? Post what you are looking for here and see if you get any bites.

salmon snow male $250

Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
...It goes along with something a friend was talking about. Maybe strawberry is just hypo A with some form of codominant "red factor" hitching a ride? Just a thought...
I know that the Strawberry Snows and Anerys I have from Chuck and Connie are sans the Hypo gene. And they are that lovely rich pink. Therefore I believe Strawberry is a stand alone Hypo gene. But with that in mind, I am testing (teasing apart) the "Salmon"/"Red Factor/Red Coat" corns this year and most probably next as well. It is my hypothesis that the Salmon and Coral Ghost lines are not just Anery and Amel with a Strawberry brightener. I think that along with selective breeding we are seeing the addition of an epistatic genetic factor like Red Coat/Red Factor. Here is were I see the hitch hiker you talk about. It is a long slow laborious process with lots of "waste" products but it's why I'm into corn snake breeding.
I agree that outsourcing is counter indicated in a line bred morph. So much effort has been put into getting a given look that the addition of "new" genetics has an adverse effect on the visual outcome.
If you want Salmon Snow offspring you should buy Salmon Snow stock. No one would breed a Champion German Shepherd with a Puppy mill mutt and expect Rin Tin Tin, right? lol

Terri

Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
chris68
Terri do you remember if Chuck and Connie's are from Jim Stepflug? Marcia aka "Poppycorns" has reported finding four (or more) different "red factors" from the various "pink" lines, per Don S. They do not "play nice" together either apparently ...

Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
I know that the Strawberry Snows and Anerys I have from Chuck and Connie are sans the Hypo gene. And they are that lovely rich pink. Therefore I believe Strawberry is a stand alone Hypo gene. But with that in mind, I am testing (teasing apart) the "Salmon"/"Red Factor/Red Coat" corns this year and most probably next as well. It is my hypothesis that the Salmon and Coral Ghost lines are not just Anery and Amel with a Strawberry brightener. I think that along with selective breeding we are seeing the addition of an epistatic genetic factor like Red Coat/Red Factor. Here is were I see the hitch hiker you talk about. It is a long slow laborious process with lots of "waste" products but it's why I'm into corn snake breeding.
I agree that outsourcing is counter indicated in a line bred morph. So much effort has been put into getting a given look that the addition of "new" genetics has an adverse effect on the visual outcome.
If you want Salmon Snow offspring you should buy Salmon Snow stock. No one would breed a Champion German Shepherd with a Puppy mill mutt and expect Rin Tin Tin, right? lol

Terri
well i agree with what your saying but as far as out sourcing is concerned are new genes not needed from outside pools on occasion to keep down effects of birth defects? got any pics of your corns for sale?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
cornbreadandmilk
another odd question if you bred (salmon snow x bubble gum snow) and then inbred the offspring snow het strawberry would the visual Hues be impacted? could other genes seen at play in bubble gum be affecting hues?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
crackerhead
Quote:
Terri do you remember if Chuck and Connie's are from Jim Stepflug? Marcia aka "Poppycorns" has reported finding four (or more) different "red factors" from the various "pink" lines, per Don S. They do not "play nice" together either apparently ...
The question isn't are they from SW Reptile a.k.a. Jim, but where did he get his stock and where did Poppy get hers. The answer would be that they are fruit of the same tree, South Mountain Reptile a.k.a. Don S.. The same can be said for the animals coming out of the JMG line; Don to Jim to Jeff to Dave.
With this in mind, are you really all that worried about in-breeding? lol As much as I hate to think about it, the breeding stock that is presently circulating is probably very inbred.
As to the OP's question and Bubblegums, you should chat with Stephen Wagner and I believe, Carol. That's is were the first Neon animals were observed. And Neon/Red Coat/Red Factor should they prove out are possibly the reason we have the lovely Salmon you are trying to acquire. Only time a testing will prove this out.

Terri

Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Nanci
Carol did a test breeding of her "bubblegum" to Steve Wagner's "neon" and the resulting offspring that spent quite a bit of time with me, Gummy Bear, was a _very_ nice pink.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Nanci
(I hate reading this thread; it makes me wish I had room for just one more project!!) (In stripe!!)

Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
chris68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
(I hate reading this thread; it makes me wish I had room for just one more project!!) (In stripe!!)
No ya don't, it really is a pain...

Terry i thought Dons line was from Jim, not the other way around. I think I remember Chuck saying he (Jim) was either totally ignorant of the background of his line or real good at playing ignorant

Old 06-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
crackerhead
Quote:
...real good at playing ignorant
Closest to the truth on soooo many levels.

Terri

Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
dave partington
Salmon Snow Male #1

5 pictures, some with flash, some without. Hatched December 2011. 3X5 inch index card. Cropped and resized. NO other alterations to images. Feeding on f/t Fuzzy one every 6-7 days

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google