CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Freaking out! My first snake laid an egg- she was a virgin as far as I know!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
Lyion
Exclamation Freaking out! My first snake laid an egg- she was a virgin as far as I know!

My snake, Xia was acting really weird. She's barely over the two year mark, but she's around 200 grams and two feet. I checked her tank and there was an egg. I never cohabbed, and only once, for about an hour, was a six month old in with her by my mistake. I don't know if she was cohabbed before. The egg is hardened and white. It looks completely fertile. My camera is broken, and I am freaking out. How soon would veins show? Is my room of 72 degrees warm enough? I don't know what to do.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
MysticExotics
If the egg is hard, it's no good, even if it was fertile.
How long has it been since she was with any males?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
bitsy
An hour is certainly long enough for the deed to be done. Never heard of a six month old fathering a clutch, but I guess it's always possible. Females can lay clutches of infertile eggs even when they've never been with a male in their lives.

Get a laying box in with her asap, just in case she has more to pass. You don't need her eggbound.

If the egg is hard, then it's probably not viable. Eggs - both fertile and infertile - tend to feel slightly squishy. Fertile ones have a dry papery surface, infertile ones tend to be more waxy and smoother.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Nanci
Is that the snake that was acting weird??

Well- it happens, fairly frequently. Most likely a slug, but making a lay box and incubating anything she lays, if you want to, will give you practice for when you _do_ breed.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Lyion
She's still laying. It's not too hard, it's rather leathery. Either, way, I want to incubate,

Old 07-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
diamondlil
How did you accidentally cohab her?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Lyion
Out of habit I put him in the second cage, ran around the house looking for him because I thought I lost him, and ran up stairs to find them sharing a hide :/. I'll grab pictures. I'm really freaking out for this girl... One egg looks fertile, the rest, slugs. But the thing is, I thought that the egg was initially one of her glow in the dark fake eggs, so I picked it up. I didn't know where the bubble was, so I candled it slightlly and there was an area in the corner where it looked lighter, so I put that area face up.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Lyion
Also, I got the camera fixed ASAP I'll post pics in a bit

Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
diamondlil
Rather than freaking out about the eggs being viable, really the priority is that she passes the eggs safely and recovers from being bred too young. There are people on here who learnt the hard way that early breeding can kill a female.
(You have glow in the dark fake eggs in the tank? any photos of them, they sound interesting!)

Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Lyion
I'm almost in tears about it. Seriously, she's so tiny! I don't know what I'll do if she doesn't make it... I have to get meat on her when I can, when is the best time to offer food again? She's my first and my favorite snake, and daily life would be so different without her. Even if all those eggs pass healthily, she's got a trip to the vet. I've been counting the eggs inside her. Four or so more to go. Oh god...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google