CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Imprinting Scent on Captive-Bred Eggs?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #51
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
If need be, I'll bump it again when it's time for me to actually try this.
Good call! I know I'll try and remember to try it out on a couple of clutches. Which ones?!?!

D80

Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #52
ArpeggioAngel
I plan on trying it with my grayband clutch(es) this year. If it works, it would be a godsend. Trying to get these buggers to switch from lizards to mice is a royal PIA!!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #53
ArpeggioAngel
Just a bump for anyone who is interested.
I have my first clutch of grayband eggs on the ground now and plan on trying this with them and hopefully a 2nd clutch as well.
I will be scenting all of the eggs this year as I found out last year just how difficult these guys can be to switch off of lizards. I still have last years hatchlings - eating and growing well - on lizards. It is getting a little ridiculous at this point so if I can do anything to change that outcome this year - you better believe I am going to give it a shot!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #54
Cat_Eyed_Lady
How will you be scenting them?? I know with a mice slushy but will you be putting it directly on the eggs or just in the container or how?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #55
ArpeggioAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Eyed_Lady View Post
How will you be scenting them?? I know with a mice slushy but will you be putting it directly on the eggs or just in the container or how?
I will be putting it directly on the eggs. Just a small spot on the top of each egg.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #56
Cat_Eyed_Lady
The reason I asked is because of the concern I have for the smell. lol At first it probably wouldnt be too bad but after abit?? Dead mouse is still dead mouse and in a warm place... well I was just curious if after abit the smell would be too strong or something. I am anxious to hear your results on that and if it helps them to eat mice instead of lizards

Old 05-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #57
ForkedTung
Absolutely fascinating topic. so in theory I could get my corns to eat say: Chocolate ice cream? heh heh, just kidding. Please keep us posted on the results. Kyle

Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #58
El Jefe
Since the thread has been updated...anyone have updates who have actually tried this method?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #59
pgr8dnlvr
So by general concensus, how far along in development would one start scenting? How often are we going to scent? Ie. Daily? E.O.D.? I wonder if the water from defrosting mice, might just be enough to scent with...

Interesting!

Rebecca

Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #60
ArpeggioAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes View Post
Since the thread has been updated...anyone have updates who have actually tried this method?
My grayband eggs were just laid yesterday. From the articles quoted here it looks like they have done the scenting the last two weeks of incubation so I have some time before I start.

I will be following pretty much what the article stated and putting the scent on daily during those last two weeks.

I am really not looking forward to making a mouse slushie - but if it works - then it will be worth it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google