CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Oh nooo....

Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #21
bitsy
They do seem to move about more when laying slugs. I've found them all over the viv before now, when fertile eggs have only ever been in the laying box. As far as laying boxes are concerned, mine always go for smaller & snugger when given a choice.

I still don't think the slugs and refusal to settle are necessarily a bad sign. I think she's just not settled because she's producing slugs at the mo.

Everything crossed for you....

Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #22
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
I have spoken to a couple of very experienced and reputable corn snake breeders who have told me not to worry. They can dump slugs before they lay a fertile clutch. I really hope this is the case.
It is common for a slug or two to be dropped soon after shedding, but as much as a week before the rest of the clutch is laid. Sorry, but clutches started that way are frequently high in infertile eggs, but this is NOT always the case. You can end up with a whole bunch of good eggs in a few!

Luck you!
KJ

Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
Tula_Montage
Thanks guys. Shes not passed anymore eggs today. She has been roaming around all afternoon but shes just settled back into her laybox there. Theres no buldge near her vent so she dosent look bound or anything like that. I know boas lay slugs a week in advance of the actual litter. I guess this is just because it's my first time and im sooo worried. I would be over the freakin moon if I only get one healthy hatchling this year. Anything more would be a real bonus because theres at least 10 people on the waiting list for this clutch LOL

Old 04-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #24
Nanci
This will be me if I ever have a clutch, BTW...

Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #25
Tula_Montage
Tell me about it Nanci... I was in tears this morning when I found the other two slugs. "The wee dead baby snakes inside... it's all my fault... wahhhhh"

Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #26
Nanci
There aren't baby snakes- those are unfertile. Don't think of them like babies (says the person who couldn't eat her hen's eggs for the longest time, even though there was no rooster on the farm...)

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #27
wade
Elle, now listen to me. Sit down and count to 10 in metric. You'll feel better and so will the poor snake you keep pestering.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #28
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
Tell me about it Nanci... I was in tears this morning when I found the other two slugs. "The wee dead baby snakes inside... it's all my fault... wahhhhh"
ahhh Elle... you poor thing. I just went through the same thing with my big Mexican Black King.... Slugs... one at a time. I feel for ya darlin. Once they all passed, I was just happy that my girl was okay and passed them all without difficulty (other than my personal worry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
There aren't baby snakes- those are unfertile. Don't think of them like babies (says the person who couldn't eat her hen's eggs for the longest time, even though there was no rooster on the farm...)
LOL.. Nanci, thats hysterical You crack me up!

My daughter and I cut open the first two slugs we got. and I gotta say - Nanci is right. No sign at all of anything resembling an embryo. So what was that 6 hour hook up anyway? Recreation?? I think my male was secretly fixed. Men!!

Good Luck Elle - let us know how she fares!! I do hope you get a few fertile ones!!

-Tonya

Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #29
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Elle, now listen to me. Sit down and count to 10 in metric. You'll feel better and so will the poor snake you keep pestering.
Oh no no I'm not pestering her, just looking in the box...It's covered by a towel so she can't see any movement from the outside. Im just soooo worried about her

Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
wade
one, two, three.....come on, say it with me

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google